State College Spikes Game Notes - July 2 vs. Batavia
Monday, July 2, 2012 - 7:05 p.m.
BATAVIA MUCKDOGS - St. Louis Cardinals (6-8) at
STATE COLLEGE SPIKES - Pittsburgh Pirates (8-6)
Game #15 / Home Game #7
RHP Clay Holmes (2-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Joe Cuda (1-0, 1.00)
TONIGHT: Buck Night pres. by 95.3 FM 3WZ...Bark in the Park I (Bring Your Dog to the Ballpark!) pres. by Metzger Animal Hospital...Books and Baseball Night
TOMORROW NIGHT: EXTENDED Patriotic Post-Game FIREWORKS Extravaganza pres. by the PA Lottery...T-Shirt Tuesday Giveeaway (First 500 Fans, All Ages) pres. by Penn State Federal Credit Union...Salute to SPAM
-SPIKES LOOK TO STAY UNBEATEN AT HOME: After an extra-inning win on Sunday, the State College Spikes look to keep their season-starting six-game undefeated streak alive in the second game of a three-game set against the Batavia Muckdogs at Medlar FIeld at Lubrano Park The Spikes took two out of three games from the Muckdogs at Dwyer Stadium in Batavia to start a road trip last week. State College is also undefeated at home this season in five games. Batavia holds the all-time series lead, 34-30, while the series is knotted, 16-16, in games at State College.
-LAST GAME: The Spikes and the Muckdogs fired zeroes at each other for the first nine innings, and finally in the tenth, Chris Diaz drove in Rodarrick Jones to give the Spikes a 1-0 win at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park last night. The game was the first in Spikes history with a 0-0 score after nine innings of play. Top Pirates pitching prospect Luis Heredia went five scoreless innings on the mound for the Spikes, scattering three hits and striking out three. Jordan Cooper got the win for State College with a 1-2-3 tenth inning.
-HOLMES LOOKS TO CONTINUE WINNING WAYS ON HILL: Right-hander Clay Holmes, who has won his first two career starts as a professional, gets his third start overall on the season and second at home in State College tonight. Holmes started against Batavia this past Wednesday and allowed one unearned run on one hit and five walks over five innings in the victory. The Slocomb, AL native was drafted by the Pirates in the ninth round of the 2011 MLB Draft.
-CUDA GETS MOUND CALL FOR MUCKDOGS: Right-hander Joe Cuda is slated to start for Batavia tonight. Cuda got his first win as a professional this past Tuesday at home against the Spikes, holding State College to one run on five hits and a a walk while striking out two over five innings. Cuda was drafted in the 27th round this year by the Cardinals out of Eckerd (FL) College, where he finished just four strikeouts shy of the Eckerd College career record.
-SPIKES MOUND STAFFERS START STRONG: Holmes, Heredia, Jake Burnette and Joely Rodriguez each have at least one start of five innings or more with two earned runs or less this year. Spikes starters have totaled an ERA of 2.95 with 40 strikeouts in 61 innings so far this season.
-SPIKE MARKS: Barrett Barnes holds the NYPL lead in times hit by pitch with 5, and is tied for 2nd in steals with 5...State College as a team is now 20-for-23 in steal attempts this year...The Spikes have no homers yet as a team this year...All other NYPL teams have at least three...Emmanuel De Leon's 14.29 strikeouts per nine innings (9 K in 5.2 IP) are the most for any NYPL reliever
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from July 2, 2012
- Aguasvivas Homers Twice; Tigers Sweep DH - Connecticut Tigers
- Connecticut Sweeps Vermont 8-0 And 9-6 In Doubleheader Monday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Record Dog Crowd on Hand as Spikes Fall to Muckdogs, 5-3 - State College Spikes
- Doubledays Win Pitchers Duel 2-1 over Jammers - Auburn Doubledays
- Cutters rally falls short in loss to Scrappers - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Grand Slam Steals Victory from Birds - Aberdeen IronBirds
- State College Spikes Game Notes - July 2 vs. Batavia - State College Spikes
- Lake Monsters Join Six-Team Effort to "Strike out Inhalant Abuse" - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Treasures from the Home of Baseball Coming to "The Joe" - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Scrappers Homestand from July 4-July 9 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent State College Spikes Stories
- SpikesFest 2019 to Take Place on Sunday, March 3
- Cardinals Announce 2019 Spikes Coaching Staff
- Spikes to Partner with LiveSource on 2019 Charity Auctions
- Jason Dambach Leaving Spikes to Pursue Other Opportunities Outside of MiLB
- Spikes to Host Safe & Seen at the Ballpark this Sunday