Lake Monsters Join Six-Team Effort to "Strike out Inhalant Abuse"
BURLINGTON, VT - The Vermont Lake Monsters are teaming up with the Alliance for Consumer Education to create a New England-wide program to "Strike Out Inhalant Abuse" at six Minor League ballparks in six different states in 2012. The effort seeks to bring awareness to the serious problem of inhalant abuse in a unique program designed to educate parents, school officials, and individuals in the community about the often-overlooked dangers.
Participating baseball teams will work with their local SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) Chapter to conduct awareness school assemblies and community appearances with mascots and players to educate fans about the dangers of inhalant abuse. The Inhalant Awareness message will be shared all summer through team websites and in-stadium announcements, and the program will culminate in an "Awareness Game" at each stadium.
The Lake Monsters' Inhalant Abuse Prevention Night will take place on Thursday, July 5 as the Lake Monsters take on the Hudson Valley Renegades. The Lake Monsters will feature a poster giveaway for the first 1,200 kids that enter the ballpark that evening.
A special report by the "Partnership for a Drug-Free America" revealed that 1 in 5 students in the USA between the grades of six and twelve have abused an inhalant at least once in their life. In fact, inhalants are the fourth-most abused substance.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from July 2, 2012
- Aguasvivas Homers Twice; Tigers Sweep DH - Connecticut Tigers
- Connecticut Sweeps Vermont 8-0 And 9-6 In Doubleheader Monday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Record Dog Crowd on Hand as Spikes Fall to Muckdogs, 5-3 - State College Spikes
- Doubledays Win Pitchers Duel 2-1 over Jammers - Auburn Doubledays
- Cutters rally falls short in loss to Scrappers - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Grand Slam Steals Victory from Birds - Aberdeen IronBirds
- State College Spikes Game Notes - July 2 vs. Batavia - State College Spikes
- Lake Monsters Join Six-Team Effort to "Strike out Inhalant Abuse" - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Treasures from the Home of Baseball Coming to "The Joe" - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Scrappers Homestand from July 4-July 9 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vermont Lake Monsters Stories
- Lake Monsters to Host Winter Warmer January 26th with Buster Olney, Galen Carr and Tim Neverett
- 2019 Vermont Lake Monsters Field Staff Announced
- Lake Monsters Announce Additions to Front Office Staff
- 9-Run First Leads Vermont To 9-6 Win Monday In Season Finale
- Lake Monsters Hold Off Valleycats 2-1