Stars Clinch Playoff Spot with Win over Wolves
SALT LAKE CITY - The Western Conference-leading Salt Lake City Stars earned their sixth-straight win tonight, defeating the Iowa Wolves 102-98 at Bruin Arena. With the win, the club becomes the second team in the NBA G League to clinch a playoff spot this season.
The Stars were led by Utah Jazz assignment player Rayjon Tucker, who notched 22 points, four rebounds and two steals. Jazz two-way player Justin Wright-Foreman added 20 points and eight rebounds, while Isaac Haas tallied his third consecutive double-double (fourth in the last five games) with 12 points and 14 rebounds. Willie Reed led all reserves with 14 points and nine rebounds.
The Wolves were paced by Barry Brown Jr., who scored a game-high 28 points to go with seven rebounds, three assists and two blocks. Minnesota Timberwolves assignment player Jarred Vanderbilt posted a triple-double with 12 points, 18 rebounds and 11 assists, while fellow Wolves assignment player Omari Spellman tallied 20 points, six rebounds and two blocks.
The game was a back-and-forth battle throughout with 16 lead changes and 11 ties. Iowa held a four-point advantage at the half (102-98). The Wolves carried their lead through the third quarter taking a five-point advantage (75-70) into the final frame. Salt Lake City outscored Iowa 32-23 in the fourth quarter to pull away with the four-point victory. The Stars move to 30-12 on the season, marking the club's first 30-win season in club history (SLC era) and first in franchise history since 2008-09 when the club was based in Boise as the Idaho Stampede.
Salt Lake City heads out on a four-game road trip, beginning with a contest at the Northern Arizona Suns (Phoenix Suns affiliate) on Wednesday, March 11. The game tips off at 7:30 p.m. (MT) and will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 7, 2020
- Serenity Now - Kramer Scores Career-High in Suns Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hartenstein Posts 34-Points in Vipers Win over Suns - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Wisconsin Herd Sweeps Back-To-Back and Downs Capital City 136-122 - Wisconsin Herd
- Hustle Fall in Sioux Falls, Drop Fourth Straight Game - Memphis Hustle
- Jack Guides Force to Fourth-Straight Home Victory - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charge Streaks Snapped in Erie - Canton Charge
- Legends Fend off Clippers in Final Minutes - Texas Legends
- Stars Clinch Playoff Spot with Win over Wolves - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.