Hartenstein Posts 34-Points in Vipers Win over Suns
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (15-26) earn third win in a row as they hosted Northern Arizona Suns (8-34). The Vipers rallied on a 121-101 win on Saturday night.
The Vipers put the team's chemistry into play and created a reaction that would remain throughout the night. From tip-off the Vipers jumped straight to business and took a 20-8 lead over Northern Arizona. RGV extended its lead even further and closed off the period 36-17 over the Suns.
Offensively RGV and Northern Arizona got the wheels turning even faster in the second frame as RGV went on a 36-point quarter while the Suns added 33 more points to the scoreboard which sent the game into halftime with a score of 72-50 in favor of RGV.
Three of the Vipers players had already reached double figures in scoring at halftime with Houston Rockets assignee Isaiah Hartenstein leading the way with 16 points. Jarell Martin tallied up 12 points and Isaiah Taylor racked up 11 points. On the Northern Arizona side David KrÃ¤mer led his team with 13 points and Phoenix Suns assignee Jalen Lecque posted 10 points.
Northern Arizona put up a fight offensively and defensively in the third quarter which led them to outscore the Vipers 26-20, but RGV still maintained a 94-82 lead. The Vipers then took complete control of the final frame of the matchup. As 4:12 remained in the game when Brandon Sampson sent a laser pass Sindarius Thornwell who sent the ball to Martin. Martin then went up for an alley-oop. After that play the chemistry continued among the Vipers and helped the team reach a 121-101 victory over the Suns.
Hartenstein reached a news season-high in scoring and posted his seventh double-double in a row with 34 points and 19 rebounds. Taylor summed up 19 points, four rebounds and nine assists. Martin reached his first double-double of the season and new season-high in rebounds with 18 points and 13 board.
Two-way player William Howard tabbed 12 points, six rebounds and four assists. Sampson had an outcome of 11 points, two rebounds and three assists. Shawn Occeus made his first career start and reached a new career-high of 10 points.
Kramer accounted for 26 points and four rebounds. Lecque summed up 21 points and nine assists. Epps had a final count of 17 points and six rebounds. Jared Harper contributed 12 points, five rebounds and six assists. Ike Nwamu scored 10 points.
The Vipers shot 54.2% from the field while reaching a season-high of 57 total rebounds.
RGV continues home play on Wednesday, March 11 at 7:00 p.m. CT against Iowa Wolves. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 7, 2020
- Serenity Now - Kramer Scores Career-High in Suns Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hartenstein Posts 34-Points in Vipers Win over Suns - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Wisconsin Herd Sweeps Back-To-Back and Downs Capital City 136-122 - Wisconsin Herd
- Hustle Fall in Sioux Falls, Drop Fourth Straight Game - Memphis Hustle
- Jack Guides Force to Fourth-Straight Home Victory - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charge Streaks Snapped in Erie - Canton Charge
- Legends Fend off Clippers in Final Minutes - Texas Legends
- Stars Clinch Playoff Spot with Win over Wolves - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Hernandez to Join RGV Via Trade
- Porter Jr. Records First Triple-Double of G League Season in Vipers Big Win over BayHawks
- Lamb Joins RGV from Canton Charge
- Thomas Earns Two-Way Call-Up with Cleveland Cavaliers
- Porter Jr. Scores 28, Vipers Fall to Greensboro 109-115