St. Louis Ambush Clash with KC Comets on the Road Saturday
St. Charles, MO - With the second playoff berth in the MASL's South Central Division still up for grabs, two teams battling for that spot square off Saturday evening at 7:05 p.m. when the St. Louis Ambush journey west on Interstate 70 to square off with their cross-state and division rivals, the Kansas City Comets at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
The second-place Comets (10-10) currently hold a one-game lead over the third-place Ambush (10-12) in the division standings, but the Ambush have played two more games than the Comets, so a win on Saturday is essential for St. Louis if they are to keep their playoff hopes alive.
Saturday's contest will be the sixth and final meeting between the two teams this season. The Ambush hold a 4-1 advantage in the season series and won both games played on the Comets' turf. This season marks the first time in the six year history of the current Ambush franchise that they have won the season series over the Comets.
PLAYERS TO WATCH: ST. LOUIS AMBUSH
Forward Zach Reget leads the team in points (30), goals (21), points per game average (1.4) and is tied in game-winning goals (2). He leads all rookies in the MASL in goals scored and is tied for second among all rookies in the league in points. Reget has been named MASL Player of the Week once, named to the Sporturf Team of the Week twice and earned honorable mention four times. Zach is a candidate for Rookie of the Year. Reget has two goals and one assist in his last three games.
Forward Justin Stinson is second on the team in points (29), goals (18) and is tied for second in points per game average (1.3). He is another candidate for Rookie of the Year. Justin has a goal and two assists in his last three games.
Midfielder Lucas Almeida leads the team in assists (18) and is third in points (27) and is tied for second in points per game average (1.3) and in game winning goals (2). Lucas has two goals in his last three games.
PLAYERS TO WATCH: KANSAS CITY COMETS
Forward Leo Gibson leads the team and is second in the league in points (55), leads the team and is tied for third in the league in goals (29) and points per game average (2.8) and leads the team and is tied for second in the league in assists (26). Gibson has seven goals and four assists in his last three games.
Defender John Sosa is second on the Comets in points (28) and points per game average (1.5). He has one goal and three assists in his last three games.
Midfielder Bryan Perez is third on the team in points (27), tied for second in goals (13), is third in assists (14) and average points per game (1.4). Has three goals and five assists in his last three games.
Take two teams in quest of a postseason berth, mix in a cross-state rivalry, add a division rivalry, and you have the ingredients for another intense, hard-fought and thrilling match between the St. Louis Ambush and the Kansas City Comets.
Following Saturday's duel in Independence, the Ambush return home for the regular season finale when the Milwaukee Wave invade the Family Arena Friday, March 29 at 7:35 p.m. CDT. The first 1,000 fans in attendance that night will receive Ambush Player Card Set 5. The March 29 contest will also be the last regular season game as a player for Ambush player and Head Coach Hewerton, who is retiring as a player but will return next season as the team's full time Head Coach.
For fans unable to catch any game in person, all Ambush games are webcast live at masl.tv. Group and single game tickets are on sale for all Ambush home games. For more information, call the Ambush office at 636-477-6363. Keep up to date on all Ambush news by following the official website, stlambush.com and on Facebook and Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 22, 2019
- MetroStars Close Home Portion of Regular Season Schedule with Loss to Utica City FC - Mississauga MetroStars
- Blast Record Fifth Straight Victory with 7-1 Win over Orlando SeaWolves - Baltimore Blast
- Utica City Powered by Man-Advantage - Utica City FC
- Wave Ready for Florida Tropics Saturday - Milwaukee Wave
- Tropics on the Road to Take on Division-Leading Milwaukee Wave - Florida Tropics SC
- St. Louis Ambush Clash with KC Comets on the Road Saturday - St. Louis Ambush
- Utica City FC Announces Eastern Division Championship Dates - Utica City FC
- Game Preview 3/23 - Harrisburg Heat vs. Orlando Sea Wolves - Harrisburg Heat
- MASL Announces Eastern Division Championship Schedule - MASL
- Baltimore Blast Announce Playoff Game - Baltimore Blast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Louis Ambush Stories
- St. Louis Ambush Close out Season with Overtime Loss
- St. Louis Ambush Host Milwaukee in Season Finale Friday Night at Family Arena
- Ambush Lose Heated Match to Comets
- St. Louis Ambush Clash with KC Comets on the Road Saturday
- Ambush Drop One on the Road to Milwaukee