Sputtering Offense, Double Plays lead to 7-1 loss
Coastal Bend came into Saturday night's game looking to start a new winning streak and stay in the playoff hunt. Their hopes took a serious blow with a 7-1 loss to a Pelicans team on a winning streak of their own. The Aviators collected a total of ten hits off Pensacola pitching but scored only one run, hitting into three double plays.
In the top of the first inning, Brian Fryer singled to right, stole second, and advanced to third when catcher Michael DeCarlo's throw went into center field. Bryon Smith then singled to center to put Coastal bend on top 1-0.
The lead was short lived as the Pelicans put up three in the home half of the inning. Centerfielder Nathan Warrick greeted JR Pickens with a leadoff triple down the right field line. Ricardo Cordova singled to score Warrick and tie the game at 1. Marcos Rodriguez walked and advanced on a wild pitch before Trino Aguilar was hit by a pitch to put runners at first and second for JD Reininger. The Pelicans right fielder drove a ball to the gap in left center to score both his teammates and give Pensacola a 3-1 lead.
Facing Pelicans starter Jesen Merle, the Aviators hit into double plays in the third and fourth innings, erasing runners who had reached base with hits. In the fifth, Pensacola pulled away with 4 more runs. Pickens allowed a single, double, and triple consecutively to Warrick, Cesar Aranguren, and Cordova pushing the score to 5-1 before Rodriguez walked and Trino Aguilar lifted a soft single to right to score Cordova and make it a 6-1 game. Rodriguez would come home on Reininger's third RBI of the contest, a single into left field which completed the scoring at 7-1.
Carl Scheafer came on to pitch the ninth and struck out two of the three men he faced to notch the sixth straight victory for Pensacola. With the loss, Pickens falls to 2-1. The Aviators are now 18-22 with just eight games remaining in the first half of the American Association season. Pensacola improves to 17-23. Game three of the series is tomorrow at 5:05pm and can be heard locally on KOPY 1070 AM or online.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 23, 2007
- Birds go 12 innings in 3-2 victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux Falls downs El Paso 3-2 in twelve innings - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Recap - AA
- Fonseca's Slam Helps Saints Win Sixth Straight - St. Paul Saints
- Pelicans Stay Hot, Continue Winning Run - Pensacola Pelicans
- Sputtering Offense, Double Plays lead to 7-1 loss - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Sports Ft. Worth Rained Out - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Winning Streak Ends in Pensacola 13-9 - Coastal Bend Aviators