Sporting KC Weekly Update
SPORTING KC TO UNVEIL NEW 2013 HOME KIT TONIGHT
Sporting Kansas City will unveil their new 2013 home kit tonight at approximately 6:20 p.m. CT at Sporting Park in a Season Ticket Member event presented by Budweiser. Players and coaches will be in attendance to model the new kit.
The night will also feature the team's annual Media Day with local media members in attendance for video, photo and interview opportunities with Sporting KC players and coaches.
SPORTING KC TO KICK OFF MLS SEASON AGAINST PHILADELPHIA ON SATURDAY
Sporting Kansas City will commence the 2013 MLS season at 3 p.m. CT on Saturday at PPL Park. The match will be broadcast live on KCWE, with coverage beginning at 2:30 p.m.
Sporting KC and the Union met three times last year, twice in regular season play and once in Open Cup play. Sporting defeated the Union 2-0 in July to advance to the final of the U.S. Open Cup.
The Boulevard Members Club will host a watch party for the season opener with special guests Teal Bunbury and Jacob Peterson. Doors open at 2 p.m. CT and parking is available in Lot D. Food and drink specials will be available and all in attendance will be entered into a raffle to win the team's newly designed 2013 home jersey, which will be available to purchase along with other new Sporting Style products for the 2013 season. Please note: only credit/debit card payments will be accepted for all transactions at the watch party.
TUNE IN TO OFF THE PITCH WITH SPORTING KC AT 7 P.M. CT TOMORROW
Sporting Kansas City's weekly television show Off the Pitch with Sporting Kansas City with hosts Callum Williams and Jake Yadrich will return tomorrow at 7 p.m. CT on KSMO-TV.
The show will preview Sporting Kansas City's first match against the Union and bring viewers the latest news around Sporting Kansas City.
KCWE TO AIR SPORTING KC'S FIRST TWO MLS MATCHES
Sporting Kansas City's first two matches of the 2013 MLS season will air live in HD on KCWE, the club announced on Monday. Both matches will feature a 30-minute pre-game and post-game show on location with the commentary team of Callum Williams and Jake Yadrich. KSMO-TV will air both matches on tape delay due to prior programming conflicts.
Sporting Kansas City opens the season at 3 p.m. CT on Saturday at the Philadelphia Union, followed by a trip to Toronto FC one week later at 12:30 p.m. CT on Saturday, March 9 at the Rogers Centre.
LOPEZ, U.S. U20'S QUALIFY FOR FIFA U20 WORLD CUP
With a 4-2 victory over Canada on Tuesday, the United States Under-20 Men's National Team qualified for the FIFA U20 World Cup in Turkey this summer and advance to the semifinals of the CONCACAF U20 Championship to take on Cuba on Friday. Sporting Kansas City midfielder Mikey Lopez appeared in each of the United States first two games during the group stage as the United States finished atop Group A. The rookie out of North Carolina will again be available for selection for head coach Tab Ramos on Friday. Watch live on FOX Soccer and Univision Deportes at 5 p.m. CT.
SPORTING KC POSTS 1-0 WIN IN PRE-SEASON FINALE
Sporting Kansas City concluded their 2013 pre-season schedule on Saturday with a 1-0 victory against Toronto FC at the ESPN Wide World of Sports in Kissimmee, Fla. Claudio Bieler struck for the match winner in the 23rd minute, deftly finishing a cross from Soony Saad for the Designated Player's first goal since being acquired from LDU Quito in the off-season.
Saturday's contest wrapped up the team's participation in the 2013 Disney Pro Soccer Classic and marked Sporting Kansas City's ninth exhibition of the pre-season. Sporting KC went 4-2-3 over the stretch after convening for the first day of training on Jan. 18th.
SPORTING KC RENEWS ASSOCIATION WITH MATCH ANALYSIS
Sporting Kansas City announced that the club has entered into a new multi-year agreement which will see California-based Match Analysis again delivering the team's video and technical analysis.
Renewing the relationship provides Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes and his technical staff with complete touch-by-touch video and statistical analysis using Match Analysis's Mambo Studio. Detailed individual analytics, upcoming opponent analysis, and complete touch-by-touch player video provided through Match Analysis's Tango Online is accessible online by all coaches and players, with coaches also now having the ability to send video directly to players using the Match Analysis' proprietary Tango ToGo system.
SINGLE-GAME TICKETS ON SALE NOW FOR FIRST NINE MATCHES
Tickets to Sporting Kansas City's first nine regular season MLS matches are on sale to the general public now via Ticketmaster.com. Fans have the opportunity to secure their seats for the first nine regular season MLS matches at Sporting Park, including the highly anticipated home opener on March 16 against rivals Chicago Fire, the U.S. Open Cup rematch against the Seattle Sounders on May 8 and an MLS Cup Playoffs rematch versus the Houston Dynamo on May 26.
SPORTING KC BILLBOARDS ON DISPLAY THROUGHOUT METRO AREA
Sporting Kansas City's first of three billboards is now on display on I-435, north of Eastwood Trafficway. The outdoor displays, part of the team's new "Welcome to the Club" marketing campaign for the 2013 season, will be located at the following locations:
- I-435 north of Eastwood Trafficway (facing north)
- I-70 at Lydia (facing east)
- I-35 east of Cambridge Circle (facing south)
SPORTING PARK TO HOST 2013 MLS ALL-STAR GAME, VERMES NAMED COACH
Kansas City will be the host city for the 2013 MLS All-Star Game . The annual showcase event will feature three days of festivities, culminating in a match between the League's top players and a renowned international club on Wednesday, July 31 at Sporting Park, home of Sporting Kansas City.
The 2013 MLS All-Star Game will be broadcast live at 8 p.m. CT on the ESPN, Univision, TSN and RDS family of networks. Exact networks will be announced at a later date. Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes, a finalist for MLS Coach of the Year each of the last two seasons, will coach the 2013 MLS All-Stars.
The 2013 All-Star Game will mark the 10th time that an elite international club has played the MLS All-Stars, who are 6-2-1 in those matches. In addition to honoring the best players in MLS, the game has featuredsuccessful, world-famous clubs such as Manchester United (2010 & 2011), Everton FC (2009), Chelsea FC (2006 & 2012), and Chivas de Guadalajara (2003). The opponent for this year's game will be announced at a later date.
PARTIAL SEASON TICKET PACKAGES ON SALE NOW
Sporting Kansas City partial season tickets (10-game packs) plans are now available for the 2013 season at Sporting Park. Fans may choose between two options, each of which feature eight MLS regular season home games and both CONCACAF Champions League group stage matches.
More information can be found on our 2013 Partial Season Ticket Plans page or by calling 888-4KC-GOAL.
REGISTRATION OPEN FOR SPORTING KC YOUTH CAMPS
Sporting Kanas City and the Sporting Kansas City Academy announced a series of eight camps for youth soccer players of all ages to take place in 2013. The camps offered will provide opportunities for varying skill and experience levels.
For more information on Sporting Kansas City youth camps, please click here or contact Jon Farrell at firstname.lastname@example.org .
FOLLOWING SPORTING KC ONLINE
Sporting Kansas City fans looking to keep up with the club on the worldwide web now have a place to go. The new social media page on SportingKC.com features Twitter account information for the club, its players as well as many staff members. Additionally, fans may take advantage of the Media Recap page for all the latest independent news coverage available online.
Additional news and notes leading up to the team's opening MLS match on March 2 can be found at sportingkc.com/preseason and sportingkc.com/tracker .
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 27, 2013
- Ahead of the Regular Season Opener, LA Galaxy Focused on Starting Out Season Right - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Montreal Impact Launches 20th Season and Unveils Third Jersey - Montreal Impact
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Launch MLS Primary Kit - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC Reveal New Kits for 2013 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Left-Sided Speedster Smith Is a Rare Breed - New England Revolution
- Sporting Kansas City Unveils New Primary Jersey - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake to Train Thursday at 2:30 MT at America First Field - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Adds Two Mexican-American Midfielders - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Star of TNT's Dallas, Jesse Metcalfe, Joins FC Dallas Opening Day Festivities on March 2 - FC Dallas
- For US U-20 Stars Gil, Villarreal Team Ethic Trumps All on Path to World Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo President Chris Canetti Signs Contract Extension - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Taps White+Partners as Agency of Record - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Season Opener to be Shown Live on Time Warner Cable - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Announce First Kick and Match Day Activities - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls 2013 Matches to be Aired Live on ESPN Deportes Radio Nueva York - New York Red Bulls
- Revs Sign Draft Picks Smith, Soffner - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Officially Parts Ways with Two - D.C. United
- Timbers Waive Midfielder Franck Songo'O, Defender Chris Taylor - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Add Hogan Ephraim on Loan - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Supplemental Draft Pick for Amarikwa - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Acquire Forward Quincy Amarikwa from Toronto FC - Chicago Fire
- 2013 MLS Direct Kick Package Unveiled - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Johnny Russell Named MLS Player of the Week
- Sporting KC Cruises to Historic 6-0 Win over Vancouver
- Preview: First-Place Sporting KC Welcomes Whitecaps on Friday
- Sporting KC and Seattle Scrap to 2-2 Draw
- Preview: First-Place Sporting KC to Host Seattle on Sunday