Sporting KC Preps for Portland on Saturday
Sporting Kansas City returns to Sporting Park after back-to-back road contests for the first match in a three-game homestand that begins with the Portland Timbers on Saturday. The match will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcast live on KSMO-TV with coverage starting at 6 p.m. CT. The game will also air live on Sports Radio 810 WHB (English) and La Gran D 1340 AM (Spanish).
Saturday's match marks the lone meeting between the two clubs during the 2013 regular season and the fourth overall match-up since Portland joined Major League Soccer as an expansion side in 2011. Sporting KC is 2-1-0 against the Timbers all-time, including a 3-1 victory in the only previous meeting at Sporting Park. Graham Zusi earned a brace in the first half of the contest and Soony Saad added a third tally in the 73rd minute.
The Portland Timbers enter Saturday's match in the midst of a five-game undefeated streak, including three straight draws on the road. Portland is the only club in MLS without a loss away from home to date this season. Conversely, Sporting Kansas City is undefeated at Sporting Park during the 2013 MLS regular season.
The Timbers currently boast a 312-minute shutout streak, second in the League this season behind only Sporting Kansas City's 545-minute streak which ceased in the 27th minute of last weekend's 2-0 loss to the LA Galaxy at The Home Depot Center.
Sporting KC has conceded five goals this season, fewest in the League behind the LA Galaxy and none when owning the home field advantage. Sporting KC and the Portland Timbers are both among League leaders in fewest shots against with 68 and 69 respectively.
With a shutout on Saturday, Jimmy Nielsen would surpass Tony Meola for most shutouts in club history with 38. A Sporting Kansas City victory against the Timbers would mark Manager Peter Vermes 50th win while leading the club.
Portland's first-year head coach Caleb Porter makes his first appearance at Sporting Park while former KC midfielder Jack Jewsbury returns to Kansas City for the second time wearing a Portland uniform. Michael Harrington makes his first trip to Kansas City since he was traded to Portland during the offseason. Both players have started the last five matches as outside backs for Portland.
Saturday's match will debut several new features at Sporting Park. The Boulevard Members Club will be releasing five new menu items from local eatery Grinders that will be available for purchase. Additionally, the Boulevard Brewing Company will be launching KC Pils, formerly Boulevard Pilsner, at the match on Saturday and the beverage will be available for $3 prior to kickoff. The Boulevard Members Club opens at 5:30 p.m. CT to all Members Stand ticket holders and opens to all ticket holders following the match.
The Budweiser Beer Garden will also be available to supporters on Saturday, providing an all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink VIP hospitality experience on the Sprint Plaza from two hours before kickoff up until 15 minutes prior to first kick. Tickets can be purchased for $25 online at SportingKC.com/tickets or at the Sporting Park Box Offices on the day of game while supplies last.
Parking lots at Sporting Park open three hours prior to kick off and all fans are encouraged to arrive early. Parking maps and directions are located on SportingKC.com/parking.
The Final Whistle: Sporting KC Postgame show on Sports Radio 810 WHB will take place in the Boulevard Members Club following the game and fans can join the discussion by calling 913-3-810-810.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 26, 2013
- Chivas USA, Ready to Face San Jose - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- LA Galaxy Head to Utah for An Early Season Test against Real Salt Lake - LA Galaxy
- Pregame Notes: Real Salt Lake vs LA Galaxy - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC Preps for Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - Houston Dynamo
- Black & Gold by the Numbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL V. LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: LA Galaxy Look Build a Winning Streak against Real Salt - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Youth Update: April 26 - FC Dallas
- Revolution Finally Returns Home to Host Philadelphia - New England Revolution
- Colorado Rapids Choose Match Analysis for Video and Technical Analysis - Colorado Rapids
- Impact Faces Chicago Fire Saturday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Salt Lake United Women's Team to Become Real Salt Lake Women SC - Real Salt Lake
- New HOMAGE Line Portrays Everything Crew and Local Clothing Brand Embody - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Take on Toronto FC Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Crew Kicks off Three-Match Homestand Starting with D.C. United - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew vs. D.C. United - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United to Hold Tryouts for Newly Formed U-12 Pre-Academy Team, as Well as for U-13s and U-15s - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Acquire Argentine Midfielder Laba - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting Settles for 1-1 Draw with Vancouver
- Sporting Signs Wilson Harris to Short-Term Agreement
- Preview: Sporting Begins Homestand Saturday vs. Vancouver
- Sporting Stumbles to Narrow Loss at D.C. United
- Sporting KC Acquires Benny Feilhaber in Trade with Colorado