LA Galaxy Head to Utah for An Early Season Test against Real Salt Lake
CARSON, Calif. - The LA Galaxy passed an early-season test with last weekend's 2-0 victory over Sporting Kansas City and have a follow-up exam on Saturday against Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium(6 p.m., Time Warner Cable SportsNet, Time Warner Cable Deportes, 1220 AM, LIVECHAT). This will be the first of three games this season between the two Western Conference rivals, with two of those three being played in Utah.
"This is definitely a bigger test," the Galaxy's Mike Magee said.
"We're going to find out even more where we're at right after this game."
The Galaxy (3-1-2, 11 points) are tied with Real Salt Lake (3-3-2) for second place in the Western Conference behind pace-setting FC Dallas, which has 19 points. The Galaxy are just 1-2-1 all-time at Rio Tinto, though that lone win came last season courtesy of a stirring, come-from-behind 3-2 victory in which the Galaxy rallied from a two-goal deficit behind two goals and an assist from Landon Donovan and a goal and an assist from Magee.
Galaxy players admitted there is something special every time the rivals get together.
"The last few years there have been some pretty good games between us," Galaxy defender A.J. DeLaGarza said.
"This is my fifth year here," Magee said, "and every time you kind of get the feeling if you want to win a cup or a shield, you're going to have to play Salt Lake.
"It's obviously good to try to get in their head and win one at their place because you know there's a decent chance if you want to win a cup you're going to have win a game at Salt Lake. That's the feeling."
Real Salt Lake, who are 2-0-1 at home this year, including last weekend's 1-0 victory over Chivas USA, have generally the same cast of characters with a couple of notable exceptions in Fabian Espindola, who had nine goals and seven assists in the league last season and 2010 MLS Defender of the Year Jamison Olave, both of whom were sent to the New York Red Bulls for allocation money in December.
But the likes of Kyle Beckerman, Nat Borchers, Javier Morales, Alvaro Saborio (who leads RSL with three goals this year) and veteran goalkeeper Nick Rimando are still around.
"They're different in some ways," said Donovan, who was nursing a strained right leg during training this week. "But they're still a very good team and their core is very good. They have Javier back, who's arguably one of the best players in the league when he's in form, and when Saborio is on the field they're very dangerous. Maybe they lose a little athleticism in the back with Olave, but other than that they're very good."
Donovan agreed there is a rivalry with Real Salt Lake going back to RSL's victory over the Galaxy in the 2009 MLS Cup final in Seattle. It could be a bit more special than most, he said.
"I guess you create rivalries by playing important games against teams that mean something," Donovan said, "and we've had a lot of that over the last few years.
"All it says to me is we're two teams that are consistently very good. That comes down to the stability of the organizations, the stability of the coaches and then having good players, good leaders on the field, which I've thought both teams have."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 26, 2013
- Chivas USA, Ready to Face San Jose - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- LA Galaxy Head to Utah for An Early Season Test against Real Salt Lake - LA Galaxy
- Pregame Notes: Real Salt Lake vs LA Galaxy - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC Preps for Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - Houston Dynamo
- Black & Gold by the Numbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL V. LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: LA Galaxy Look Build a Winning Streak against Real Salt - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Youth Update: April 26 - FC Dallas
- Revolution Finally Returns Home to Host Philadelphia - New England Revolution
- Colorado Rapids Choose Match Analysis for Video and Technical Analysis - Colorado Rapids
- Impact Faces Chicago Fire Saturday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Salt Lake United Women's Team to Become Real Salt Lake Women SC - Real Salt Lake
- New HOMAGE Line Portrays Everything Crew and Local Clothing Brand Embody - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Take on Toronto FC Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Crew Kicks off Three-Match Homestand Starting with D.C. United - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew vs. D.C. United - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United to Hold Tryouts for Newly Formed U-12 Pre-Academy Team, as Well as for U-13s and U-15s - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Acquire Argentine Midfielder Laba - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- Dignity Health Sports Park to Host 5th Annual Campeon De Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader on July 14
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Houston Dynamo 1 - Friday, April 19, 2019
- LA Galaxy Announce 2019 LA Galaxy Special Olympics Unified Roster
- LA Galaxy to Host Golf Tournament on June 10 to Benefit LA Galaxy Foundation
- LA Galaxy to Celebrate Protect the Pitch Night Friday at Dignity Health Sports Park