D.C. United to Hold Tryouts for Newly Formed U-12 Pre-Academy Team, as Well as for U-13s and U-15s
Washington D.C. (April 26, 2013) - D.C. United today announced that it will be holding tryouts for its newly formed U-12 Pre-Academy side, as well as its U-13 and U-15 Pre-Academy teams. The U-12 squad will serve as a feeder system for the U-14, U-16 and U-18 Academy teams and will ultimately carve a path for players to become part of D.C. United's First Team. D.C. United's Pre-Academy system aims to provide its members with intensive, more frequent training sessions (3-4 times per week) with an added competitive element, while offering the opportunity for young players to connect with D.C. United's local professional team. The U-12s will compete in the Pre-Academy league, as well as local leagues, MLS events, elite tournaments and matches with affiliate clubs.
"While identifying players is a priority, it is only a small part of what we do," said D.C. United's Director of Youth Development Sonny Silooy. "The bigger part is to develop the identified talented players to reach the First Team. Our system has also proven that our Academy players will succeed in the next step of top-level colleges. Moving to the U-12 age group is the natural progression so that we can train and develop players for a longer period of time."
Tryout sessions for the U-12s, as well as the U-13 and U-15 Pre-Academy teams, will be held on May 29 and May 31 . Additional tryout dates will take place on June 7 and June 10, as needed.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 26, 2013
- Chivas USA, Ready to Face San Jose - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- LA Galaxy Head to Utah for An Early Season Test against Real Salt Lake - LA Galaxy
- Pregame Notes: Real Salt Lake vs LA Galaxy - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC Preps for Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - Houston Dynamo
- Black & Gold by the Numbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL V. LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: LA Galaxy Look Build a Winning Streak against Real Salt - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Youth Update: April 26 - FC Dallas
- Revolution Finally Returns Home to Host Philadelphia - New England Revolution
- Colorado Rapids Choose Match Analysis for Video and Technical Analysis - Colorado Rapids
- Impact Faces Chicago Fire Saturday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Salt Lake United Women's Team to Become Real Salt Lake Women SC - Real Salt Lake
- New HOMAGE Line Portrays Everything Crew and Local Clothing Brand Embody - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Take on Toronto FC Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Crew Kicks off Three-Match Homestand Starting with D.C. United - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew vs. D.C. United - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United to Hold Tryouts for Newly Formed U-12 Pre-Academy Team, as Well as for U-13s and U-15s - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Acquire Argentine Midfielder Laba - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Beat Colorado Rapids 3-2 on the Road
- D.C. United Announce Two Washington Spirit Matches at Audi Field
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 with Montreal at Audi Field
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field
- D.C. United Announce Complimentary FloFC Subscriptions for Black-And-Red Fans in April