Spokane Ends Road Trip with Tough 8-2 Loss in Seattle
The Spokane Chiefs wrapped up their four-game road trip with a tough 8-2 loss to the Seattle Thunderbirds Tuesday night.
The Thunderbirds struck first with the only goal in the first period, fired by Henrik Rybinski at 5:35.
The second period was filled with goals, starting at 1:27 with Connor Roulette's fourteenth of the season. The Chiefs fought back as Grady Lane stole the puck away and got it to Chase Bertholet who took it to the net and snuck it in on a slick backhand to make it 2-1 at 5:15.
Seattle hit back halfway through the period with a short-handed goal from Mekai Sanders at 10:35 and again at 10:59 (Reid Schaefer). Undeterred, rookie defenseman Saige Weinstein shot a rocket from the top of the zone that found the back of the net for his first career WHL goal, bringing things to 4-2 at 11:35.
Lucas Ciona snuck one more Seattle goal into the second period with just 12 seconds left to make it 5-2 heading into the final frame.
The third period was all Thunderbirds, with three unanswered goals from Rybinski (3:02), Jordan Gustafson (7:20) and Jared Davidson (13:11).
Mason Beaupit started in net for Spokane and turned away 26-of-33 shots faced. He was replaced in the third period by rookie Manny Panghli, who denied all but one of the eight shots he faced. The Chiefs were outshot 41-22 and went 0-for-3 on the power play and 0-for-2 on the penalty kill.
Up next, the Chiefs will return home Friday night to host the same Seattle Thunderbirds. It's Gold Seal Plumbing Princesses and Heroes Night, so bring the kids out to meet their favorite Disney princesses and heroes!
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2022
- WHL Announces Postponement of WHL Regular Season Game Between Brandon and Saskatoon - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Four Winterhawks Alumni Named to Olympic Teams - Portland Winterhawks
- WHL Announces Postponement of WHL Regular Season Game Between Brandon and Saskatoon - Saskatoon Blades
- WHL Announces Postponement of WHL Regular Season Game Between Brandon and Saskatoon - WHL
- ICE on Fire as Second Half Begins - WHL
- Eight Is Enough for T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Broncos Drop Heavy, Physical Game to Red Deer - Swift Current Broncos
- Rockets Down Royals 4-3 in a Shootout - Victoria Royals
- Comeback Spurs Rockets to Shootout Win - Kelowna Rockets
- Spokane Ends Road Trip with Tough 8-2 Loss in Seattle - Spokane Chiefs
- Rebels' Work Ethic, Goaltending Keys in Road Win over Broncos - Red Deer Rebels
- Warriors Win Fourth Straight; Topple Oil Kings 8-1 - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Oil Kings Thumped by Warriors - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Blank Raiders 4-0 - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Sign Second-Round Pick Owen Martin and Third-Round Pick Hayden Paupanekis
- Chiefs Sign Third-Round WHL Pick Hayden Paupanekis
- Chiefs Sign Second-Round WHL Pick Owen Martin
- Chiefs Name Smith Head Coach, Donaghy an Assistant
- Chiefs Announce 2022-23 Home Schedule