Sparks Draft Rutgers Star Arella Guirantes with No. 22 Overall Pick
LOS ANGELESÂ - The Los Angeles Sparks drafted Arella Guirantes from Rutgers University with the No. 22 overall pick in the 2021 WNBA Draft. Guirantes averaged 21.3 points, 5.2 assists, 6.0 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game in her final year at Rutgers. She shot 37.8% on three-pointers.
Guirantes was a two-time All-Big Ten First Team selection and a two-time All-America honorable mention. At 5-foot-11, the Long Island, New York native can play both guard positions and on the wing.
"Arella Guirantes is a player with lottery talent who was one of the best players in college basketball this year," General Manager/Head Coach Derek Fisher said. "We're excited to add her to our roster and know the potential she has as a two-way perimeter threat."
With the No. 28 pick in the draft, the Sparks selected 6-foot-2 forward Ivana Raca from Wake Forest University. Raca averaged 16.7 points and 9.0 rebounds per game and earned All-ACC First Team honors as a senior. Raca is from Belgrade, Serbia.
With their second pick in the third-round, the Sparks selected 5-foot-9 guard Aina Ayuso from Barcelona, Spain. Ayuso played for the University of Oregon in 2017-2018, before leaving to play in Spain. She currently plays for Zaragoza and is a member of the Spanish national team.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 15, 2021
- Dallas Selects Charli Collier with First Overall Pick in W NBA Draft 2021 Presented by State FarmÃÂ® - WNBA
- Seattle Storm Acquire Kennedy Burke in Draft-Day Trade - Seattle Storm
- Aces Add Depth to Championship Aspirations with Selections of Rupert, Slocum and Jeter in 2021 WNBA Draft - Las Vegas Aces
- Chicago Sky Select Shyla Heal with 8th Overall Pick in 2021 WNBA Draft Presented by State Farm - Chicago Sky
- McDonald Headlines Atlanta Dream 2021 Draft Picks - Atlanta Dream
- New York Liberty Select Michaela Onyenwere No. 6 Overall in 2021 WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- Sparks Draft Rutgers Star Arella Guirantes with No. 22 Overall Pick - Los Angeles Sparks
- Sparks Draft Jasmine Walker & Stephanie Watts in First-Round of WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- WNBA Supports Health of Black Women and Girls Through Launch of PSA and Joint Community Donation - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.