Sparks Draft Jasmine Walker & Stephanie Watts in First-Round of WNBA Draft
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Sparks selected 6-foot-3 wing/forward Jasmine Walker out of the University of Alabama with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2021 WNBA Draft. As a senior, Walker averaged 19.1 points and 9.4 rebounds per game, while shooting 43.7% from the field and 39.8% from three-point range. She holds the single-game scoring record for Alabama with 41 points.
Walker was named First Team All-SEC in 2021 and led Alabama to a No. 7 seed in the NCAA tournament, helping the Crimson Tide reach the second round. After beginning her collegiate career at Florida State University, Walker transferred to Alabama where she went on to become one of the most versatile forwards in the nation. Walker is from Montgomery, Alabama.
"Early on, we identified Jasmine Walker as a seamless fit for our roster both as a player and as a person," General Manager/Head Coach Derek Fisher said. "At 6-foot-3, Jasmine can both play on the wing and can stretch the floor as a big. She's also one of the best defensive players and rebounders in this draft class. We're ecstatic to add Jasmine Walker to the Sparks."
With the No. 10 overall pick in the draft, the Sparks selected Stephanie Watts out of the University of North Carolina. As a senior, the 5-foot-11 guard averaged 12.0 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.7 steals per game. She led UNC to the NCAA tournament where she scored 29 points, shooting 7-for-11 on three-pointers in their opening round game.
Watts played at North Carolina in 2015-2016, 2016-2017 and 2018-2019, after missing 2017-2018 with an injury. She played at the University of Southern California from 2019-2020 before transferring back to UNC for her final year of eligibility.
"Stephanie Watts is a guard with great size who has shown the ability to score from all three levels, facilitate, rebound and defend," General Manager/Head Coach Derek Fisher said. "She brings us another perimeter player with size and versatility who fits our vision. We're excited to have Stephanie join our group."
Watts is from the Bronx, New York.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 15, 2021
- Dallas Selects Charli Collier with First Overall Pick in W NBA Draft 2021 Presented by State FarmÃÂ® - WNBA
- Seattle Storm Acquire Kennedy Burke in Draft-Day Trade - Seattle Storm
- Aces Add Depth to Championship Aspirations with Selections of Rupert, Slocum and Jeter in 2021 WNBA Draft - Las Vegas Aces
- Chicago Sky Select Shyla Heal with 8th Overall Pick in 2021 WNBA Draft Presented by State Farm - Chicago Sky
- McDonald Headlines Atlanta Dream 2021 Draft Picks - Atlanta Dream
- New York Liberty Select Michaela Onyenwere No. 6 Overall in 2021 WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- Sparks Draft Rutgers Star Arella Guirantes with No. 22 Overall Pick - Los Angeles Sparks
- Sparks Draft Jasmine Walker & Stephanie Watts in First-Round of WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- WNBA Supports Health of Black Women and Girls Through Launch of PSA and Joint Community Donation - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.