South Bay Can't Complete the Comeback in Loss to Magic
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers erased a 21-point deficit but couldn't do enough to grab the win as they fell to the Lakeland Magic, 108-106, on Monday night. Andre Ingram had his best game of the season for South Bay (12-20) with a season-high 27 points off the bench. Amile Jefferson led the Magic (18-11) with 22 points and 14 rebounds.
The Lakers trailed after one, 27-18, as Gabe York pitched in eight early points. South Bay began the game with their 23rd different starting lineup of the season as Jeffrey Carroll and Justin Harper earned their first starts of the season. The Lakers started to find a groove in the second quarter behind a combined 15 points from Ingram and Travis Wear, but the Magic kept a 62-51 lead at the half.
South Bay went into the final frame with a 12-point deficit, 85-73, as Jefferson scored eight points in the third quarter for Lakeland. Ingram scored 12 points in the final quarter as South Bay rallied back to tie the game. However, the Lakers missed a shot at the buzzer as they lost for the 20th time this season.
Jefferson's double-double paced the Magic and former Laker Anthony Brown tallied one of his own with 13 points and 10 rebounds. York finished the game with 17 points as John Petrucelli (12 points), Antonio Campbell (11 points) and Troy Caupian (11 points) all scored in double figures for Lakeland.
Ingram's season-best scoring output led the Lakers while Alex Caruso (12 points, 12 assists) and Jemerrio Jones (10 points, 12 rebounds) put up double-double efforts. Wear finished with 13 points and seven rebounds and Harper tallied nine points and 10 rebounds for South Bay.
South Bay will now hit the road for a game against the Iowa Wolves on Friday, February 1 at 5:00pm PT from the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, IA.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 29, 2019
- Blue Coats Stop Drive in First 76ers Fieldhouse Win - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall Tuesday Night in Wilmington - Grand Rapids Drive
- Cavaliers Assign Kobi Simmons to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Sioux Falls Skyforce's Palo Suspended - G League
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Jakarr Sampson - Windy City Bulls
- South Bay Can't Complete the Comeback in Loss to Magic - South Bay Lakers
- Stars Fall to Blue - Salt Lake City Stars
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bay Lakers Stories
- South Bay Acquires Two First Round Picks
- South Bay Lakers Announce Preseason Game with Northern Arizona
- South Bay Acquires Returning Player Rights to Reggie Hearn and David Stockton
- South Bay Lakers Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Scott Machado Named NBA G League Player of the Month