Sounders FC Celebrates Its NASL Past with Heritage Match vs. San Jose this Wednesday
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC encourages fans to arrive early to its Wednesday evening home match against the San Jose Earthquakes (7:30 p.m. PT / JOEtv, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM) as the team celebrates its roots with its Heritage Match, presented by Washington Federal, exclusive bank of Sounders FC.
As two of the NASL's original clubs, Seattle and San Jose have a long-running rivalry and in-stadium elements at Wednesday's game are themed to each team's 1983 logos. Washington Federal is also providing a Heritage hat giveaway to the first 12,000 fans through the gates, with the Heritage Cup on display and available for fan photos in Soccer Celebration from 6:00-7:00 p.m. PT.
Fans looking to own unique pieces of Sounders history can take advantage of RAVE Foundation's annual Throwback Auction, featuring rare items from the club's early years. Proceeds raised benefit RAVE's mission to use soccer as a vehicle to inspire youth and strengthen communities. Items will be on display in-person along the stadium concourse, but fans near and far can view the auction catalog and place bids online at Sounders.Givesmart.com or via mobile by texting the word SOUNDERS to 52182. Bidding closes at 7:30 p.m. PT.
Before kickoff, Seattle honors its U-17 team for its history-making victory in the Generation adidas Cup. Pictured left, the team became the first MLS club to win the Champions Division title under the competition's current format when it defeated Valencia 1-0 on Saturday. Additionally, recent First Team signing Danny Leyva was awarded the GA Cup's Golden Ball, the award for the best player in the Champions Division, while Tacoma Defiance forward Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez won the Golden Boot for his six goals in six games.
This Wednesday, each member of the team is being individually recognized before the trophy is shown off to the home crowd. The team will then lead the stadium in Scarves Up.
On the field, the Rave Green will have a different look, as the club sports its Nightfall secondary kit for the first time at home this season.
Before the match, fans can also continue to enjoy the Forever Green Kids Club presented by Delta Dental. Located outside of Section 139, the revamped Kids Club area is where young fans can meet Sammy the Sounder and take part in a variety of other interactive fun.
After suffering its first loss of the season on Sunday at Los Angeles FC, Sounders FC returns home for a pair of matches this week, beginning with the San Jose Earthquakes on Wednesday, April 24 (7:30 p.m. PT / JOEtv, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM). The Rave Green then host a rematch with LAFC on Sunday, April 28 at CenturyLink Field (12:30 p.m. PT / ESPN, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 23, 2019
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - April 24, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. LA Galaxy Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Montreal Impact - New England Revolution
- MNUFC Loans Collin Martin to Hartford Athletic - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Celebrates Its NASL Past with Heritage Match vs. San Jose this Wednesday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts D.C. United Tomorrow for a Midweek Eastern Conference Clash - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Visits New England Revolution Wednesday Night - Montreal Impact
- Fat Joe, Remy Ma, Papoose, Tony Sunshine and Angelica Vila to Celebrate Bronx Borough Night with New York City FC Tomorrow Night - New York City FC
- Sounders FC to Host International Friendly on July 17 vs. German Powerhouse Borussia Dortmund - Seattle Sounders FC
- Anastasia Danias Schmidt Appointed EVP and General Counsel; Bill Ordower Named EVP, MLS Business Ventures - MLS
- Chicago Fire's Gabriel Slonina, Allan Rodriguez Called Up to U-15 U.S. Boys' National Team for 2019 Torneo Delle Nazioni - Chicago Fire
- Homefield Advantage Remains Key to Western Conference Supremacy - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Fans Can Tune in to "Sounders FC Classics" Tomorrow Evening to Enjoy Clint Dempsey's Rave Green Home Debut
- Sounders FC Announces 2020 Sports Science Seminar
- Rave Green Continue "Sounders FC Classics" Broadcasts Tomorrow Evening with 2014 Supporters' Shield Victory
- Sounders FC and Other Local Sports and Events Release Joint Statement Imploring Fans to Stay Home, Stay Healthy
- Rave Green Establish Seattle Sounders FC Relief Fund in the Fight against COVID-19