Soto, Braymer Named SAL Player & Pitcher of the Week
Hagerstown, MD - The South Atlantic League named a pair of Hagerstown Suns the first Player and Pitcher of the Week for the 2018 season on Monday. Outfielder Juan Soto was named SAL Player of the Week and Ben Braymer earned the SAL Pitcher of the Week award for the week of April 5-15.
Soto has started the 2018 season red-hot for Hagerstown, highlighted by his April 8 performance where he missed hitting for the cycle by a double. The right-fielder went 4-for-5 with nine total bases, hitting a homer, a triple, and two singles while driving in four RBIs against the Rome Braves. Soto also had a career-high six RBIs on April 10 in Columbia against the Fireflies, going 3-for-3 at the plate with a double and a homer. All total, the National's #2 prospect is batting .361 (6th in the SAL) with four homers (tied for 1st), 19 RBIs (1st), and 31 total bases (1st). His .861 slugging percentage is tops in the league while his .489 on-base percentage is second-best on the circuit. Soto was also named to MLB Pipeline's Prospect team of the Week earlier in the day.
Ben Braymer has been lights-out on the mound for the Suns early in 2018, earning him the honor of SAL Pitcher of the Week. The southpaw has pitched in three games for Hagerstown, going 2-0 while totaling 11.2 innings of work and holding opponents to a .158 batting average with just six hits against him. His most recent performance on April 14 against Greensboro was his best yet, holding the Grasshoppers to two hits over five innings pitched with six strikeouts. He hasn't allowed a run yet this season and is second in the SAL with 16 strikeouts while posting a 0.51 WHIP, good for second in the league.
Soto is the first Suns player to win the SAL Player of the Week award since outfielder Daniel Johnson received the honor for June 19-25 of 2017. Braymer becomes the first Suns hurler to be named SAL Pitcher of the Week since Taylor Guilbeau was for the week of August 22-28 back in 2016.
Braymer, Soto, and the rest of the Hagerstown Suns are back in action at Hagerstown Municipal Stadium on Tuesday with a double header against the Delmarva Shorebirds with the first game beginning at 5:05 PM. Fans can order tickets online at www.hagerstownsuns.com or by calling (301) 791-6266.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 16, 2018
- Intimidators Use 3-Run Sixth Inning to Sneak by Augusta, 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Fireflies Take Down Drive in Series Opener - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Pitchers Strike out Franchise-Record 17 in Series-Opening Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Snow Game Yields Tough Result - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Drop Series Opener with West Virginia - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets bats go cold along with weather - Augusta GreenJackets
- Pitching Strong as Crawdads Pick up Second Win - Hickory Crawdads
- BlueClaws Fall 1-0 to Greensboro on Monday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Lexington Falls to Hickory in Game One - Lexington Legends
- Soto, Braymer Named SAL Player & Pitcher of the Week - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 16 at Greenville (Game 11) - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Legends to Hold Auditions for Friday Night Live - Lexington Legends
- Drive and Michelin North America Team up for HBCU Classic on Friday at Fluor Field - Greenville Drive
- Newest Yankee Pickup Matt McPhearson Joins RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns-Shorebirds Rained out on Monday - Hagerstown Suns
- Shorebirds Series Opener in Hagerstown Postponed - Delmarva Shorebirds
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (April 16) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Seek Candidates for 2nd Annual Military Baseball Card Set - Columbia Fireflies
- Greenville Drive and Michelin North America Celebrate 11th Year of Reading All-Stars Program - Greenville Drive
- Brewer Makes MLB Debut with Padres on Thursday - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.