Snider's Waddle-Off Winner Lifts Ducks in See-Saw Battle
(Central Islip, N.Y.) - The Long Island Ducks defeated the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs 7-6 in waddle-off fashion on Wednesday night in the middle game of a three-game series at Bethpage Ballpark.
Both sides traded runs in the first inning, with Angelo Songco's RBI single giving Southern Maryland the lead and a run-scoring double play ball plating Jordany Valdespin to even the score. The Blue Crabs took the lead back in the fourth on Jon Griffin's leadoff solo home run to left field off Ducks starter Jake Fisher. However, a three-run sixth inning put the Ducks on top 4-2. David Washington's RBI single and Alec Sole's two-out, two-run triple did the damage.
A two-run home run by Ryan Strausborger in the seventh tied up the game once again at four. Long Island responded again though in the bottom of the eighth, as Taylor Ard's two-run home run over the left field wall put the Flock back on top, 6-4.
Southern Maryland would rally in the ninth to even the score at six, courtesy of a two-run double to left-center by Edwin Garcia. However, in the bottom of the ninth, back-to-back walks by Valdespin and Emilio Bonifacio put the winning run in scoring position. Travis Snider followed with the game-winning RBI single up the middle.
Neither starter factored into the decision. Fisher lasted six and one-third innings, allowing four runs on nine hits while striking out six. Blue Crabs starter Paul Clemens went five innings, yielding a run on three hits and three walks with four strikeouts. Francisco Rodriguez (2-0) picked up the win despite allowing two runs on a hit and two walks in one inning. David Wayne Russo (1-2) suffered the loss, conceding the winning run on a hit and two walks in one-third of an inning.
Snider led the Flock with two hits, an RBI and a run while both Ard and Sole drove in two runs.
The Ducks and Blue Crabs wrap up their three-game set on Thursday night. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). The Kids Health & Safety Expo returns to the ballpark, and the first 1,500 fans in attendance will receive First Aid Kits, courtesy of Stony Brook Children's Hospital. It's also a Thirsty Thursday, and the Duck Club restaurant and bar, normally reserved for VIP/season ticket holders, will be open for all fans to enjoy. There will be both food and drink specials available, including half price domestics. Right-hander Jair Jurrjens (3-2, 3.50) toes the rubber for the Ducks against Blue Crabs righty Casey Delgado (3-3, 3.31).
Tickets to the game, and all 2018 Ducks home games, are available by visiting the Bethpage Ballpark box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming HD video and audio will be available via BoxCast on the Ducks official Facebook page, YouTube channel and at LIDucks.com.
Images from this story
Long Island Ducks congratulate Travis Snider on his game-winning hit
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Long Ball Leads Revs to Doubleheader Split - York Revolution
- Snider's Waddle-Off Winner Lifts Ducks in See-Saw Battle - Long Island Ducks
- Ducks Walk-Off Winners in Back and Forth Battle - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Home Runs Lead to a Patriots and Revolution Double Header Split - Somerset Patriots
- Hunger Free Mondays Return to Revolution Games - York Revolution
- All-Star Game Promotional Additions Announced - Long Island Ducks
- Six Run Second Inning Lifts Bees Over Barnstormers - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- 2019 Schedule Announced; 20th Anniversary Logo Unveiled
- Ducks Honored with Promotion of the Year Award
- Jordany Valdespin Named Atlantic League Player of the Year
- Valdespin, Ford Named Atlantic League Post-Season All-Stars
- #VoteDucks in "Best of Long Island" Contest