Six Run Second Inning Lifts Bees Over Barnstormers
(Lancaster, PA) - The New Britain Bees (18-24) defeated the Lancaster Barnstormers (27-13) 10-5 at Clipper Magazine Stadium on Tuesday evening in the opener of a three-game midweek series and six-game road trip. The Bees have now won seven of their last ten games overall away from the Hardware City.
New Britain starting pitcher Zach Stewart (3-3) picked up the victory after allowing five runs on eight hits in six innings pitched, walking three and striking out two. Lancaster starting pitcher Nate Reed (5-1) was tagged with the loss, surrendering seven runs on eight hits (one home run) across four innings on the mound, walking two and striking out four.
Trailing 2-0 in the top half of the second inning, the Bees went to work against Reed by sending 11 batters to the plate, scoring six runs (matching a season-high for most runs in a single inning) on six hits to take a commanding 6-2 lead, one the visitors would never relinquish. After Reed walked Josh Thole and Matt Tuiasosopo to begin the frame, Jamar Walton followed with a massive three-run home run well over the picnic area in right field, his fifth big fly of the season. Later on in the rally, Deibinson Romero plated Ozney Guillen with a run-scoring base knock, his team-leading 33rd rib-eye steak of the campaign. Jason Rogers followed with an RBI single of his own that enabled Darren Ford to cross the plate, and Thole finished off the big inning with a single that scored Romero. After Lancaster scored three unanswered runs in the middle innings to get to within 7-5, New Britain put the game away in the top of the eighth with three more runs of their own to give the contest its final score of 10-5, highlighted by an RBI double from Guillen that drove in Walton after he picked up a hustle double to begin the frame, a run-scoring single by Vinny Siena that scored Guillen, and an RBI two-base hit from Ford that plated Siena as every player penciled into the starting lineup by skipper Wally Backman registered at least one hit in the ballgame. Rogers and Walton led the 16 hit offensive outburst with three hits each, with Walton falling just one hit short of the cycle by collecting a single, double, and home run. Photo provided courtesy of Megan Murnane.
The Bees return to New Britain Stadium on Tuesday, June 19th when they welcome in the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs to the Hardware City for a four-game series. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. It will be another Two-Fer Tuesday in the Nutmeg State, as everyone can buy one full price ticket and get one FREE when you purchase on-line, by phone, or at the Bees Ticket Office.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Long Ball Leads Revs to Doubleheader Split - York Revolution
- Snider's Waddle-Off Winner Lifts Ducks in See-Saw Battle - Long Island Ducks
- Ducks Walk-Off Winners in Back and Forth Battle - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Home Runs Lead to a Patriots and Revolution Double Header Split - Somerset Patriots
- Hunger Free Mondays Return to Revolution Games - York Revolution
- All-Star Game Promotional Additions Announced - Long Island Ducks
- Six Run Second Inning Lifts Bees Over Barnstormers - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Blue Crabs Walk-Off On Bees In 12 Innings To Take Series Opener
- Barnstormers Erase Early Deficit To Take Rubber Game From Bees
- Barnstormers And Bees Spilt Twin-Bill In The Hardware City
- Skeeters Silence Bees Bats To Salvage Series Finale
- Bees Shutout Skeeters For Second Consecutive Victory