Skyforce's Powell scores 46 points to beat Mad Ants
Sioux Falls' Kasib Powell was unstoppable for the Skyforce tonight, leading his team with 46 points and shooting 10-11 from behind the arc to give the Skyforce the 115-109 victory over the Fort Wayne Mad Ants at the Memorial Coliseum.
Powell scored 17 points in the first quarter, shooting 6-8 from the field and 3-3 from three point range to give the Skyforce a 13 point lead at the end of the first quarter. They would extend that lead to as much as 15 in the second and finished the first half ahead by 10.
Roderick Wilmont came off the bench in the second half, scoring 17 points to spark a late Mad Ants' run that cut the Skyforce lead to 5 with a little over two minutes to play, but Powell hit his tenth three pointer of the game with 2:00 remaining on the clock to the seal the deal for the Skyforce.
Powell shot 70% from the floor, making 17 of 24 to go along with his 90% 3 point percentage. Teammates Chris Alexander, who recorded a double-double with 15 points and 14 rebounds, and David Bailey, who added 19 points, also came up big for the Skyforce.
The Mad Ants were led by the Indiana University duo of Wilmont and Earl Calloway. Calloway had another stellar night, recording his second double-double in a row with a team high 27 points and 11 assists. Wilmont shot 8-12 from the floor and finished with 23. Pistons' assignee Cheikh Samb added a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds. He also had 6 blocks.
The Mad Ants drop to 3-5 against the Skyforce and 13-22 overall, and the Skyforce increase their record to 22-18. The Skyforce are just 3 games out of first place in the Central Division.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2008
- Skyforce's Powell scores 46 points to beat Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Calling All Slam Dunkers - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- 14ers Add Two More to Roster - Colorado 14ers
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Gate City Bank to Host Wiz Kids Event - Dakota Wizards
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants Host Inaugural Sports and Entertainment Career Fair - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Iowa's Energy Too Much for Arsenal - Anaheim Arsenal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.