Skid Reaches Five as Oilers Fall to Cyclones
CINCINNATI, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones knocked off the Tulsa Oilers 5-2 Friday in the final meeting of the season between the two teams at U.S. Bank Arena.
The Cyclones gained an early lead 2:22 into the game, when Chris Leone lobbed a puck to the net from center ice that bounced over the glove of Oilers goaltender Devin Williams. Tulsa answered at 7:28 of the opening period, when Evan Richardson tapped in a centering pass from Joey Sides from the edge of the crease. Cincinnati jumped back in front on their only power play of the frame, when Justin Vaive redirected a centering pass into the net. The Cyclones led 2-1 after one.
Cincinnati added two goals in the second period to increase its lead to 4-1 after two. Alex Kile scored the third Cyclones goal on a 3-on-2 rush when he snapped a quick shot under the crossbar. Vaive added his second of the game when he shot a one-timer into the net from low in the slot. The Oilers outshot the Cyclones 25-22 through 40 minutes.
Kile added his second goal of the game in the third period to increase the Cyclones lead to 5-1. Oilers forward Ryan Tesink sniped a wrist shot over the glove of Cincinnati goaltender Jonas Johansson to bring Tulsa to within three, but Johansson stopped 38 of 40 Oilers shots in leading the Cyclones to the 5-2 win. The loss extended Tulsa's winless skid to five games dating back to Jan. 31.
The Oilers return home for three games next weekend on the York Plumbing Ice at the BOK Center in Tulsa. The Florida Everblades come to town Friday and Saturday for the Oilers' only two games this season against an Eastern Conference opponent. Catch the action on the Sports Animal, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV, with coverage starting at 6:45pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2018
- Rush Hold off Utah Late - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Drops High Scoring Affair in Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Pull Away Late to Defeat Mallards 4-1 - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Hammer Nailers 5-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tomkins, Fuel Stop Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Offense Continues to Shine in Win over Tulsa - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Angeli Leads Offensive Outburst as Admirals Top Thunder 7-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Skid Reaches Five as Oilers Fall to Cyclones - Tulsa Oilers
- Beast Work Hard But Wings Take It 4-2 - Brampton Beast
- Orlando Jerseys Produce Magic Result - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Six Game Point Streak Ends in 4-1 Home Loss to Stingrays - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Slam Door on Beast in Road Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder, Komets Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Sam Kurker Returns to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Justin Taylor Loaned to Utica Comets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Tulsa - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Day Storylines at Colorado - Idaho Steelheads
- 2019 CCM-ECHL All-Star Weekend Lineup Unveiled - Toledo Walleye
- Hungry Howie's Friends & Family Deal on February 17 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers at Solar Bears Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Dupont's 600th Game Sees Admirals Host Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
- Goaltender Matt Tomkins Reassigned from Rockford - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.