Game Day Storylines at Colorado
Winners in three of their last four contests, the Idaho Steelheads continue their series with the Colorado Eagles on Friday night eight points back of the top spot in the division. Idaho's 4-2 win on Wednesday in the series-opener was just the second regulation loss this season for the Eagles at home, and snapped a 17-game points streak for the Eagles at Budweiser Events Center. The loss was also Colorado's fourth consecutive regulation loss overall. The Steelheads are 3-3-1 in the season series against the Eagles.
After falling behind 2-0 early in the second period on Wednesday, the Steelheads surged back with four unanswered goals for their 12th road win of the season. Justin Parizek scored twice for the Steelheads, joined by AJ White and Brady Brassart. Ryan Faragher stopped 26 shots, and three breakaways, to earn his ninth win of the season.
AJ White continued rolling on Wednesday night with a three-point performance, the first of his professional career. White helped set up both of Justin Parizek's goals and scored on a breakaway of his own midway through the second period to tie the game 2-2. White has five goals and 12 points over his last eleven games, not going more than one game without at least a point during that stretch.
The Steelheads had surrendered a power play goal against in five straight games heading into Wednesday night and needed their penalty-killing units to step up. They got their wish with a perfect 5-for-5 performance shorthanded, an evening that included a shorthanded breakaway chance for Jefferson Dahl in the first period. On their first four penalty kills, the Steelheads did not surrender a shot on goal. Their fifth and final man-down situation was a 6-on-4 disadvantage with 4:17 left and the Colorado net empty. The Steelheads surrendered just two shots on that kill and only four for the remainder of the game.
Keep Coming Back...
The Steelheads would prefer not to have to come from behind on Friday, but they have had impressive surges late in games this season in Loveland. On Wednesday, the Steelheads overcame a 2-0 deficit on their way to a 4-2 win, the fifth time this season the Steelheads have recovered from multi-goal deficits. In their previous three visits to Colorado this season, all regulation defeats, the Steelheads fell behind by two or more goals and came back to lose one contest by one goal and the other two games by two goals, with Colorado scoring an empty-net goal as well. Over four games at Budweiser Events Center, the Steelheads have been outscored 8-2 in first periods but outscored Colorado 13-10 over the final 40 minutes, including the empty-net goal for the Eagles.
Idaho Leaders Eagles Leaders
Goals: McParland (21) Goals: Joly (34)
Assists: J. Dahl (29) Assists: Register (32)
Points: J. Dahl (47) Points: Joly (49)
Plus/Minus: McParland (+16) Plus/Minus: Register/Garbowsky (+27)
Power Play Goals: J. Dahl (8) Power Play Goals: Joly (11)
Goals-Against Average: Desrosiers (2.74) Goals-Against Average: Cannata (2.13)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2018
- Rush Hold off Utah Late - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Drops High Scoring Affair in Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Pull Away Late to Defeat Mallards 4-1 - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Hammer Nailers 5-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tomkins, Fuel Stop Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Offense Continues to Shine in Win over Tulsa - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Angeli Leads Offensive Outburst as Admirals Top Thunder 7-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Skid Reaches Five as Oilers Fall to Cyclones - Tulsa Oilers
- Beast Work Hard But Wings Take It 4-2 - Brampton Beast
- Orlando Jerseys Produce Magic Result - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Six Game Point Streak Ends in 4-1 Home Loss to Stingrays - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Slam Door on Beast in Road Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder, Komets Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Sam Kurker Returns to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Justin Taylor Loaned to Utica Comets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Tulsa - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Day Storylines at Colorado - Idaho Steelheads
- 2019 CCM-ECHL All-Star Weekend Lineup Unveiled - Toledo Walleye
- Hungry Howie's Friends & Family Deal on February 17 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers at Solar Bears Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Dupont's 600th Game Sees Admirals Host Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
- Goaltender Matt Tomkins Reassigned from Rockford - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.