Six Unanswered Goals Sink Utica in Loss to Metrostars
Utica, N.Y. - Utica fought back to tie the game at three but six unanswered goals in the second half put away City in a 9-3 loss to the Mississauga MetroStars afternoon at the Adirondack Bank Center. Mauricio Salles, Nate Bourdeau, and Domenico Vitale scored for Utica. Andrew Coughlin made six saves on 14 shots in the loss.
Shawn Brown put the MetroStars up 1-0 1:30 into the game with a shorthanded goal. Salles tied the game a minute later with a strong left-footed strike. Bourdeau put City on top at the 3:35 mark of the first, converting a header on a cross from Logan Roberts. Mississauga regained the lead with goals from Jarred Philips and Damion Graham 40 seconds apart.
Utica had multiple chances to level the game in the second quarter, including hitting a crossbar, but could not pull even and trailed 3-2 heading into halftime.
Vitale evened the game at three 6:36 into the third quarter, blasting a shot to the top corner after a bounce pass from Salles. David Velastegui put back his own rebound to give the MetroStars a 4-3 lead with 6:46 to go in the third. Darren Chambers gave Mississauga a two-goal lead two minutes later. City upped the pressure again but could not find the back of the net as the third quarter came to a close with Mississauga on top 5-3.
Molham Babouli pushed the lead to 6-3 35 seconds into the fourth quarter. Shaq Agard continued the onslaught with a goal of his own at the 4:02 mark of the fourth quarter. Agard notched his second of the game after a defensive breakdown. Utica brought on the sixth attacker later, but Babouli sealed the game with an empty net goal.
Utica City has a rematch with the MetroStars Friday evening at the Paramount Fine Foods Center. Game begins at 7:35pm and will be broadcast on MASLtv. The team will return to home turf the following week with back-to-back games March 30 and 31. These will be the final home matches of the 2018-19 regular season. Tickets are available at www.empirestatetix.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Forsberg, Hogs Shut Down Stars to Regain Fourth Place in Central Division - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Set New Franchise Record with 9-0 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Puts Brakes on Eagles Win Streak in Lopsided Loss - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Halted by Rockford Netminder to Close Road Trip - Texas Stars
- Smith backstops first shutout with Bridgeport in the club's 11th straight win on a Sunday afternoon - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Left with Home Loss in San Diego's First Visit - Manitoba Moose
- Driedger Strong, But T-Birds' Offense Comes up Empty in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Penguins Lose to Toronto, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gulls Reach 70-Point Plateau with Win at Manitoba - San Diego Gulls
- Six Unanswered Goals Sink Utica in Loss to Metrostars - Utica Comets
- Gustavsson, Leier Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Close out Weekend in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Toronto Marlies
- T-Birds Look for Third Win of Road Trip in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Reign Whipped at Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners Erupt to Score Five in Stockton; Secure a Weekend Sweep - Tucson Roadrunners
- Nearly 8,000 Watch Condors Cruise to 7-0 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.