San Jose Puts Brakes on Eagles Win Streak in Lopsided Loss
SAN JOSE, CA. - The Colorado Eagles nine-game winning streak came to an end in a 9-0 loss to the San Jose Barracuda on Sunday. Josef Korenar earned the 31-save shutout in net, as eight different skaters found the back of the net for San Jose.
The Barracuda would stake the early lead when forward Jeffery Viel snapped a wrister from the left-wing circle that would beat Eagles goalie Pavel Francouz and give San Jose the 1-0 edge just 2:10 into the contest.
Defenseman Nick DeSimone would stretch the lead when he tracked down his own rebound at the side of the crease and fired the puck into the back of the net to give the Barracuda a 2-0 advantage at the 7:42 mark of the first period.
San Jose would close the opening 20 minutes with a bang, as a breakaway for defenseman Cavan Fitzgerald would be capped off with a backhander from the top of the crease that would elude Francouz and grow the Barracuda lead to 3-0 with 1:40 left in the opening stanza.
The second period would see the scoring continue for San Jose, as forward Lukas Radil would feed a loose puck into the net to make it a 4-0 Barracuda advantage just 5:24 into the period.
The onslaught would continue when a shot from the point was deflected past Francouz by forward Francis Perron to stretch San Jose's lead to 5-0 at the 11:42 mark of the middle frame. The goal would also signal the end of the afternoon for Francouz who would give way to Spencer Martin in net for the duration.
As time ticked away in the second period, Barracuda forward T.J. Hensick would drive down the left-wing boards before slicing to the crease and tucking a shot past Martin. The tally would run San Jose's advantage to 6-0 with only 1:49 left to play in the period.
Heading into the final period of action, the Barracuda would keep the foot on the accelerator as defenseman Thomas Gregoire netted his first professional goal with a shot from the blue line that would light the lamp and put San Jose on top 7-0 at the 10:16 mark of the third period. Gregoire would bury another shot just 59 seconds later to extend the Barracuda's lead to 8-0.
San Jose forward Jayden Halbgewachs would cap off the scoring when he snapped a wrist shot from between the circles, beating Martin and giving the Barracuda a 9-0 advantage with 7:36 left in the contest.
Colorado returns to action when the Eagles host the Manitoba Moose on Friday, March 22nd at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Forsberg, Hogs Shut Down Stars to Regain Fourth Place in Central Division - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Set New Franchise Record with 9-0 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Puts Brakes on Eagles Win Streak in Lopsided Loss - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Halted by Rockford Netminder to Close Road Trip - Texas Stars
- Smith backstops first shutout with Bridgeport in the club's 11th straight win on a Sunday afternoon - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Left with Home Loss in San Diego's First Visit - Manitoba Moose
- Driedger Strong, But T-Birds' Offense Comes up Empty in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Penguins Lose to Toronto, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gulls Reach 70-Point Plateau with Win at Manitoba - San Diego Gulls
- Six Unanswered Goals Sink Utica in Loss to Metrostars - Utica Comets
- Gustavsson, Leier Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Close out Weekend in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Toronto Marlies
- T-Birds Look for Third Win of Road Trip in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Reign Whipped at Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners Erupt to Score Five in Stockton; Secure a Weekend Sweep - Tucson Roadrunners
- Nearly 8,000 Watch Condors Cruise to 7-0 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Francouz Joins Czech Republic at 2019 IIHF World Championships
- Colorado's Playoff Run Ends in 5-2 Loss to Condors in Game Four
- Colorado Eagles Recall Forward Kale Kessy
- Eagles Announce Series of Transactions
- Bakersfield Takes 2-1 Series Lead with 5-2 Victory over Eagles