T-Birds Look for Third Win of Road Trip in Bridgeport
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (27-25-7-5) conclude a four-game road trip looking for their third win of the week as they visit the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (36-20-5-2) on Sunday afternoon for a 5:00 p.m. St. Patrick's Day matchup at the Webster Bank Arena.
Springfield will be looking to end a tough stretch inside the home of the Sound Tigers, where Bridgeport has won each of the last five meetings. Six of the eight meetings between the clubs this season has resulted in a one- or two-goal margin.
The Sound Tigers have won eight of their last ten games but are coming off a 5-1 loss in Hershey on Saturday night. The Thunderbirds, meanwhile, are coming off a 38-save performance by Chris Driedger in a 2-1 overtime win on Friday night in Utica. Anthony Greco scored the first penalty shot goal in team history to seal the victory in the extra period.
With his victory on Friday, Driedger improved his rankings to 15th in the AHL in goals-against average (2.55) and tied for first in save percentage (.922). He is 12-8-1 overall in his first season with Springfield.
Among active Thunderbirds, Jacob MacDonald leads the way with seven points, all assists, against Bridgeport this season. Greco has added three goals and three assists in the prior eight games between the division rivals. On the Bridgeport side, Josh Ho-Sang leads the season series with eight points (2g, 6a) in six games.
Following the road trip, the T-Birds get some well-deserved rest, as their next game is set for Friday, March 22 against the Binghamton Devils on another 3-2-1 Friday inside the MassMutual Center, followed by the 3rd annual Pucks N' Paws night on Saturday, March 23 against Laval.
Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-2020 ticket memberships are on sale now and include the best benefits of being a Thunderbirds ticket holder. To learn more about memberships and single game tickets, visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com or call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Forsberg, Hogs Shut Down Stars to Regain Fourth Place in Central Division - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Set New Franchise Record with 9-0 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Puts Brakes on Eagles Win Streak in Lopsided Loss - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Halted by Rockford Netminder to Close Road Trip - Texas Stars
- Smith backstops first shutout with Bridgeport in the club's 11th straight win on a Sunday afternoon - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Left with Home Loss in San Diego's First Visit - Manitoba Moose
- Driedger Strong, But T-Birds' Offense Comes up Empty in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Penguins Lose to Toronto, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gulls Reach 70-Point Plateau with Win at Manitoba - San Diego Gulls
- Six Unanswered Goals Sink Utica in Loss to Metrostars - Utica Comets
- Gustavsson, Leier Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Close out Weekend in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Toronto Marlies
- T-Birds Look for Third Win of Road Trip in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Reign Whipped at Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners Erupt to Score Five in Stockton; Secure a Weekend Sweep - Tucson Roadrunners
- Nearly 8,000 Watch Condors Cruise to 7-0 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss
- T-Birds' Strong Start Doesn't Hold up vs. Wolf Pack
- T-Birds Acquire D Rob O'Gara from San Antonio Rampage
- Florida Panthers Recall F Aleksi Saarela from T-Birds
- T-Birds Recall Marcinew, MacPherson from ECHL Ahead of Teddy Bear Toss Weekend