Moose Left with Home Loss in San Diego's First Visit
The Manitoba Moose (30-27-4-2) dropped a 4-1 decision to the San Diego Gulls (32-20-3-3) on Sunday afternoon at Bell MTS Place. The Gulls opened the scoring with six minutes to go in the first period as Jake Dotchin blasted a shot by Eric Comrie. The visitors added to their lead just 35 seconds later as San Diego took advantage of a turnover which resulted in a Ben Thomson goal. The Gulls made it 3-0 with 1:20 to go as Kiefer Sherwood's centering pass went in off a defender's skate.
The Moose pushed back in the second period, firing 12 shots at Kevin Boyle. The San Diego netminder turned away all the opportunities, and got some help from the post on a JC Lipon chance to keep the Moose off the board. At the other end of the ice, Comrie made 10 saves as the score held at 3-0 in San Diego's favour heading to the third.
Manitoba got on the board 6:24 into the third period when Jimmy Oligny found Ryan White in the faceoff circle and White picked the far corner for his second of the season. The Moose continued to attack, totalling 18 shots in the third period, but were unable to close the gap. Dotchin added a shorthanded empty net goal to San Diego's total as the Gulls left with a 4-1 win.
Forward Kristian Vesalainen played his first game with the Moose since returning from the KHL, his previous game with Manitoba was Nov. 14.
Jimmy Oligny is on a three-game point streak with four points (1G, 3A) in that span.
Attendance was announced at 6,211. Quotable
Forward Kristian Vesalainen on adjusting to the pace of play - "Obviously here is a pretty fast game, we just go. There it's kind of lay off, there's a lot of backing into the defensive zone and just taking the guys in. It's a much faster game here, but the guys are really strong in the KHL. Both are really good leagues to play. Also there are really skilled guys in the KHL."
Forward Ryan White on the first period - "Maybe a bit of a let down from the other night. We had a really good period, and sometimes when things start going good you forget what got you there a little bit. I think the other night in the third period we worked hard, we put pucks down below their 'D', put pucks to the net. I think the first period tonight we were trying to be a little too cute, little too fancy. They're a good team over there, you make mistakes and they're going to put them away on you."
Game Summary: https://mbmoo.se/2HFdTkv
Highlights and Post-Game Coverage: moosehockey.com/moosetv
Photo Gallery: https://mbmoo.se/2SLrddr
The Moose and Gulls face off in a rematch of today's game on Tuesday at Bell MTS Place. Tickets for the 7 p.m. puck drop are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Forsberg, Hogs Shut Down Stars to Regain Fourth Place in Central Division - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Set New Franchise Record with 9-0 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Puts Brakes on Eagles Win Streak in Lopsided Loss - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Halted by Rockford Netminder to Close Road Trip - Texas Stars
- Smith backstops first shutout with Bridgeport in the club's 11th straight win on a Sunday afternoon - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Left with Home Loss in San Diego's First Visit - Manitoba Moose
- Driedger Strong, But T-Birds' Offense Comes up Empty in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Penguins Lose to Toronto, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gulls Reach 70-Point Plateau with Win at Manitoba - San Diego Gulls
- Six Unanswered Goals Sink Utica in Loss to Metrostars - Utica Comets
- Gustavsson, Leier Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Close out Weekend in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Toronto Marlies
- T-Birds Look for Third Win of Road Trip in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Reign Whipped at Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners Erupt to Score Five in Stockton; Secure a Weekend Sweep - Tucson Roadrunners
- Nearly 8,000 Watch Condors Cruise to 7-0 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.