Simon Watson Returns to Mavericks for 2011-12 Season
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Tuesday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has re-signed forward Simon Watson for the 2011-12 season. Watson is the first player under contract for the Mavericks' third season in the CHL.
Watson, 31 (4/3/80), is one of the original members of the Mavericks, and enters his third season with the team and sixth season overall. The Waterloo, Ontario native was recently awarded the CHL's Man of the Year for the 2010-11 season for his contributions to the community outside of playing hockey.
"We are so pleased to have Simon back with our franchise for the coming season," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "He scored some huge goals for us last season in some of the biggest games of the year. Even more important is the type of person Simon is off of the ice and in the locker room. No other player has done more over the last two seasons to help grow the sport at the grass roots level. When a person with the character of Simon Watson comes along, we will do everything in our power to keep him as a big part of this organization."
In his two seasons with the Mavericks, Watson has scored 70 points (28-4270) in 111 games played. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound forward has averaged nearly 20 goals and 45 points per season in his first five seasons, all in the CHL. In total, Watson has 220 points (95-125220) in 298 games played.
"We are thrilled to have someone like Simon committed to the Mavericks, not only for his play, but also for his efforts off the ice," said Mavericks' President and General Manager Brent Thiessen. "His contributions to the team and our community have been nothing short of tremendous these past two seasons."
The Mavericks will begin their third season in the Central Hockey League in October 2011. Season tickets are on sale now and start at just under $11 per game. Call (816) 252-7825 or visit www.MissouriMavericks.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from May 31, 2011
- Relay for Life Weekend, RiverKings Urge Participation - Mississippi RiverKings
- Simon Watson Returns to Mavericks for 2011-12 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Colorado Eagles Taking Their Tradition of Excellence to ECHL - Colorado Eagles
- Colorado Eagles Exercise Option - CHL
- RiverKings Boost Transplant Fore Life Event - Mississippi RiverKings
- All Hall Final Starts Tomorrow - Tulsa Oilers
- Marty Raymond and Guy Dupuis highlight Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Home Schedule
- Mavericks Trainer Nick Potter Wins ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award
- Kansas City Mavericks Wrap up 10th Season with Return to the Playoffs
- Mavericks Eliminated in Game Seven Loss at Tulsa
- Mavericks Head to Game Seven After 4-2 Loss in Game Six at Tulsa