Short-Handed Wolves Fall in Down to the Wire Matchup with Spurs
Cedar Park, Texas - The Iowa Wolves (18-17) missed a game-tying contested layup at the rim with time expiring, dropping their second contest to the Austin Spurs (24-14) in four days by the final score of 89-87 Sunday afternoon at the H-E-B Center.
Iowa is still winless during its current road trip, falling to 0-3. Both road losses to Austin have been by two points.
Minnesota Timberwolves first round draft pick Justin Patton recorded a season-high 21 points on nine-of-16 shooting from the floor. Patton also recorded five rebounds and three blocks in the loss. Patton has recorded three blocked shots in three of his last four outings.
Although trailing for much of the afternoon, Iowa stuck around until the very end, never trailing by more than 10 points to the Southwest Division-leading Spurs.
Marquise Moore recorded his first professional double-double, finishing with a season-high 19 points, 10 rebounds and team-high five blocked shots. Moore shot 8-of-10 from the field, including 3-of-4 from the line in a breakout performance that saw the NBA G League first round draft pick play a team-high 44 minutes.
Iowa's starters combined for 83 of the team's 87 total points scored with each finishing in double figures.
Defensively, the Wolves held Austin to 36.5% shooting from the field, its second-worst shooting performance of the season.
Michael Bryson contributed 15 points and five rebounds in a starting role, including a team-high three three-pointers made.
Point guard Melo Trimble finished in double figures for his fifth straight game, adding 14 points, four rebounds and a team-high five assists.
No other player tallied more than one assist for Iowa, tying a season-low team total with 10 assists.
Iowa gets the week off for the NBA All-Star break before finishing up its four-game road trip against the Westchester Knicks on Wednesday, Feb 21 at 6:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 11, 2018
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Down South Bay Lakers In Overtime Thriller, 131-127 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Salt Lake City Acquires Akeem Springs - Salt Lake City Stars
- Hustle fall short in second half to Grand Rapids - Memphis Hustle
- South Bay Drops Overtime Thriller in Santa Cruz - South Bay Lakers
- Short-Handed Wolves Fall in Down to the Wire Matchup with Spurs - Iowa Wolves
- Austin Spurs Win Nail-Biter over Iowa Wolves 89-87 - Austin Spurs
- Horford's Career Game Propels Drive to Sixth Straight Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Atlanta Hawks Transfer Andrew White III from Erie to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.