Sharks bite Bruins 4-2
Providence, RI - Three goals in the third period lead the Sharks to an exciting come from behind victory over the Bruins in Providence on Sunday afternoon to leap frog the Sharks into the 4th and final playoff in the Atlantic Division.
The Sharks thought they would enter the 1st intermission in a scoreless tie but Zach Hamill poked in a loose puck in front with .8 seconds remaining in the period to give the Bruins a 1-0 lead. Greiss made several great saves in the first period but the Sharks trailed 1-0 after twenty minutes.
The Bruins would extend their lead and make it 2-0 as Vladimir Sobotka tipped a bouncing puck over the glove of Greiss at 4:45 after a feed from the blue line by Martin St. Pierre. Frazer McLaren would get the Sharks on the board with his 6th tally of the season poking in a loose rebound in front past Kevin Regan after an initial shot from the right wing by Matt Jones at 6:04. Tempers flared at the end of the period after Mike Moore dumped St. Pierre in front of the Sharks net but cooler heads prevailed as the Sharks skated into the 2nd intermission trailing 2-1. Shots were tied 22-22 after forty minutes.
Trent Campbell tied the score at 2-2 at 7:46 with his 4th goal of the season, his first in a Sharks uniform after he jumped on a rebound in front on the power play. Dan DaSilva deflected a shot from Patrick Traverse in between the two faceoff circles to give the Sharks their first lead of the game at 15:58. Trent Campbell would cap the comeback with an empty net tally to seal the victory at 19:55.
The win brings Worcester's record to 37-34-1-2 with 77 points through 74 games and the Sharks currently sit in 4th place in the Atlantic Division with just six games remaining.
NOTES: Three Stars: (3) Jason Demers (2a) (2) Zach Hamill (1g) (1) Dan DaSilva 1g 1a)... Attendance was announced 8,026... Thomas Greiss made 26/28 saves in net for Worcester in his 10th straight start... Kevin Regan made 32/35 saves in net for Providence ... The Sharks went 2/8 on the power play while the Bruins went 0/5... it was the Sharks first win in Providence since a 3-0 shutout on January 11, 2008... Andrew Desjardins added two assists for the Sharks.... It was the 4th time this season the Sharks have won when trailing after forty minutes 4-30-0-0, and only the 2nd time the Bruins had lost in regulation when leading after two periods.
The Sharks visit the Springfield Falcons on Wednesday to kick off a three game road swing.
The Sharks reduced their 2009-10 season ticket prices and they are on sale now! Purchases can be made by visiting the box office, contacting the Worcester Sharks office at 508.929.0500, or by crashing the net at www.SharksAHL.com.
All games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG, as well as online through AHL Live, by following the link on the Sharks website at www.SharksAHL.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2009
- Hogs pick up big win - Rockford IceHogs
- Houston Aeros fall 2-1 in Rockford, remain second in West Division - Houston Aeros
- Chops gain a point, but edged in a shootout by Flames on Sunday - Iowa Chops
- Curry sets single season win mark in 1-0 shootout against Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms gain rapidly Senators - Adirondack Phantoms
- Flames top Chops in shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Secure West Division Title - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sharks bite Bruins 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Eberle Scores First Pro Goal - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Drop Second Straight to Phantoms, 4-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins clinch seventh straight postseason appearance - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hartford Wolf Pack Transaction Update - Connecticut Whale
- Filatov Helps Propel Crunch Past Toronto - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Strike Early To Beat Sound Tigers, 5-3 - Albany Devils
- Minnesota Wild recalls Kolanos, Khudobin; Aeros sign Henderson - Houston Aeros
- P-Bruins Fall To Sharks 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Three goals from Sound Tiger defensemen not enough at Lowell beats Sound Tigers 5-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kennedy Scores Late as Pirates Win 4-3 Over Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Bulldogs fall to Moose, 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose sweep Bulldogs, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Recalls Dan Jancevski From Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals fall to Chops in Shoot-out - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.