Hogs pick up big win
Rockford, Ill.- In tight races, the playoff picture can become clearer or more blurry with every tick of the clock.
On Sunday at the Rockford MetroCentre it did a little of both. The Rockford IceHogs picked up two points on their second-place rivals, the Houston Aeros and put a little distance between them and the fifth-place Chicago Wolves with a 2-1 win.
"We all see how close things are in the standings, and we all know how every game counts at this point," said winger Rob Klinkhammer. "We're just going to bring it all every night."
Forwards Pascal Pelletier and Adam Hobson scored early in the second frame to give the Hogs a big 2-0 lead.
After a scoreless first frame, Pelletier gave the IceHogs the lead at 1:28 in the second, beating Nolan Schaefer with helpers from Rob Klinkhammer and Logan Stephenson.
"I get Pelletier the puck and he just get's it in there on the short side," said Klinkhammer. "It was just pretty to watch."
Then Hobson sent a blast from the corner of the offensive zone past Schaefer with helpers from Pelletier and Danny Groulx at 6:55. "Hobson just get's a great slap shot off and it takes a bounce and lands in their net. Sometimes that's going to happen. Sometimes the bounces go for us, sometimes they go against us tonight they were in our favor."
The Aeros got a bit of the momentum back with a goal from Morten Madsen at 17:35 in the third period, but the Hogs held off the Aeros for the rest of the final frame for the win.
Antti Niemi, whose pads arrived from San Antonio just 45 minutes before the start of the game, earned his fourth win in five starts (4-0-0-0) on 29 saves. Nolan Schaefer had 22 saves.
The Hogs power play squad was scoreless in one opportunity, while the Aeros were 0-for-5.
Next Home Game: Saturday, April 4 vs. Milwaukee Admirals. Game time is 7:05 p.m. The Annual Jersey Auction game is finally here as the IceHogs jump into "The Dark Hammy" jerseys to benefit the IceHogs Charitable Foundation. The first 2,000 fans will pick up a commemorative t-shirt courtesy of Saturn, Pepsi, 13 WREX and MedicineMan. Also, don't miss the Stanley Cup as hockey's most coveted trophy makes its first visit to the Rockford MetroCentre.
Stanley Cup Fact: The current Stanley Cup has 2,200 different names engraved on it (none more than Jean Beliveau, whose name appears 17 times on the cup - 10 as a player and seven as an executive for the Montreal Canadians). See the Stanley Cup at the Rockford MetroCentre on April 4. For tickets call 815-968-5222 or visit metrocentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2009
- Hogs pick up big win - Rockford IceHogs
- Houston Aeros fall 2-1 in Rockford, remain second in West Division - Houston Aeros
- Chops gain a point, but edged in a shootout by Flames on Sunday - Iowa Chops
- Curry sets single season win mark in 1-0 shootout against Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms gain rapidly Senators - Adirondack Phantoms
- Flames top Chops in shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Secure West Division Title - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sharks bite Bruins 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Eberle Scores First Pro Goal - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Drop Second Straight to Phantoms, 4-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins clinch seventh straight postseason appearance - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hartford Wolf Pack Transaction Update - Connecticut Whale
- Filatov Helps Propel Crunch Past Toronto - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Strike Early To Beat Sound Tigers, 5-3 - Albany Devils
- Minnesota Wild recalls Kolanos, Khudobin; Aeros sign Henderson - Houston Aeros
- P-Bruins Fall To Sharks 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Three goals from Sound Tiger defensemen not enough at Lowell beats Sound Tigers 5-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kennedy Scores Late as Pirates Win 4-3 Over Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Bulldogs fall to Moose, 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose sweep Bulldogs, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Recalls Dan Jancevski From Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals fall to Chops in Shoot-out - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Hogs Cap Homestand with $2 Beer, Magnet Schedule Giveaway
- $5 Kids Tickets, Skate & Pet-Item Drive in Matinee Tomorrow vs. Laval
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint
- $5 Kids Tickets, Pet-Item Drive Set for Monday Matinee vs. Laval
- Hogs Kick off Home Schedule with Calendar Giveaway this Saturday at BMO