Kennedy Scores Late as Pirates Win 4-3 Over Falcons
Springfield, MA - The Pirates took a 4-3 win over the Falcons in Springfield thanks to a late goal from Tim Kennedy with just 4:14 left in the third period.
The Pirates got on the board 10:16 in when Mathieu Darche tipped home a loose puck in front on a power play for his 24th goal of the season. Felix Schutz and Tim Kennedy picked up the helpers. Just one minute later, the Pirates made it 2-0 on Colton Fretter's 21st goal of the year. Fretter blasted a one-timer from the slot off a set up from Nathan Gerbe. Schutz and Gerbe picked up assists on the play. The Pirates struck again to make it 3-0 just over four minutes later when Felix Schutz skated down the left wing on a two-on-one and tried a pass to Colton Fretter. The puck deflected off the stick of the defenseman and home for Schutz's 14th goal of the season at 15:18 of the first. The Falcons grabbed a goal before the end of the period though, when Cory Urquhart tipped home a pass in front for his first goal of the season from Kelley Czuy and Hans Benson at 18:48. After 20 minutes it was 3-1 Pirates.
Springfield carried that momentum into the second period and Bryan Young got his second goal of the year from Guillaume Lefebvre and Colin McDonald. Young's second of the year came at 5:#6 of the second. About ten minutes later the Falcons tied the game on a top shelf wrister from the slot off the stick of Jordan Eberle. The rookie's first professional goal came in his third game with Ryan Stone and Ryan Potulny picking up assists. After two periods it was 3-3.
The score stayed 3-3 through much of the third period until Tim Kennedy scored the game winning goal with just 4:14 remaining. Dennis Persson picked up the assist, grabbing his first AHL point. The Pirates held on for the 4-3 win.
Pirates goaltender Jhonas Enroth made 33 saves on 36 shots to get the win. Devan Dubnyk stopped 22 of 26 shots for the Falcons and took the loss.
Allied Home Mortgage Three Stars of the Game: 1. Felix Schutz (POR) 2. Jordan Eberle (SPR) 3. Tim Kennedy (POR)
Notes: The Pirates picked up three straight wins for the first time since January 23rd to 30th...Attendance: 3,899.
The Pirates will be back in action Wednesday at 7:00 taking on the Hartford Wolf Pack at the XL Center in Connecticut. Fans can follow the Pirates on U.S. Cellular Pirates Radio Network or watch the game LIVE on the internet courtesy of AHL Live by clicking the icon on the left side of the home page. The U.S. Cellular Pirates Radio Network includes the Pirates flagship station, the Bay 1400AM and 1490AM (Portland) and affiliates WEZR 1240 AM (Lewiston-Auburn), WTME 780AM (Rumford) and WKTQ 1450AM (South Paris).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2009
- Hogs pick up big win - Rockford IceHogs
- Houston Aeros fall 2-1 in Rockford, remain second in West Division - Houston Aeros
- Chops gain a point, but edged in a shootout by Flames on Sunday - Iowa Chops
- Curry sets single season win mark in 1-0 shootout against Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms gain rapidly Senators - Adirondack Phantoms
- Flames top Chops in shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Secure West Division Title - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sharks bite Bruins 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Eberle Scores First Pro Goal - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Drop Second Straight to Phantoms, 4-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins clinch seventh straight postseason appearance - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hartford Wolf Pack Transaction Update - Connecticut Whale
- Filatov Helps Propel Crunch Past Toronto - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Strike Early To Beat Sound Tigers, 5-3 - Albany Devils
- Minnesota Wild recalls Kolanos, Khudobin; Aeros sign Henderson - Houston Aeros
- P-Bruins Fall To Sharks 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Three goals from Sound Tiger defensemen not enough at Lowell beats Sound Tigers 5-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kennedy Scores Late as Pirates Win 4-3 Over Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Bulldogs fall to Moose, 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose sweep Bulldogs, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Recalls Dan Jancevski From Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals fall to Chops in Shoot-out - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.