Admirals Secure West Division Title
Milwaukee, WI - With a 5-2 win over the Chicago Wolves on Sunday afternoon at the All-State Arena the Milwaukee Admirals secured the 2008-09 West Division Title, their third division crown in the past six seasons. The Ads also won the title in the 2003-04 season and the 2005-06 campaign.
The division crown assures the Admirals of home-ice advantage in the first two rounds of the Calder Cup Playoffs, which will commence the week of April 13th. The Ads opponent in the first round is still to be determined, but if the playoffs began today they would square off against the Rockford IceHogs, who currently sit in fourth place in the division with 78 points.
The win over the Wolves also ended a season long four-game losing streak for Milwaukee, who now sits with 99 points (45-20-3-6) and puts them on the precipice of their fourth 100-point season in the past six years as well.
Earlier this year the Admirals became the first franchise in American Hockey League history to record six consecutives seasons of 40 or more wins and 90 or more points. The Admirals still have six games to play in the regular season and are chasing the Manitoba Moose (104 points) for the best record in the Western Conference.
The Ads return to action on Wednesday night when they travel to Quad City to take on the Flames at 7:00 pm. They will be back home at the Bradley Center on Friday, April 3rd at 7:00 pm against the Lake Erie Monsters. Fans can buy tickets for any Admirals game, by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Groups of ten or more people receive a minimum of $2 off of each ticket. For more information or to order group tickets call the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2009
- Hogs pick up big win - Rockford IceHogs
- Houston Aeros fall 2-1 in Rockford, remain second in West Division - Houston Aeros
- Chops gain a point, but edged in a shootout by Flames on Sunday - Iowa Chops
- Curry sets single season win mark in 1-0 shootout against Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms gain rapidly Senators - Adirondack Phantoms
- Flames top Chops in shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Secure West Division Title - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sharks bite Bruins 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Eberle Scores First Pro Goal - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Drop Second Straight to Phantoms, 4-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins clinch seventh straight postseason appearance - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hartford Wolf Pack Transaction Update - Connecticut Whale
- Filatov Helps Propel Crunch Past Toronto - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Strike Early To Beat Sound Tigers, 5-3 - Albany Devils
- Minnesota Wild recalls Kolanos, Khudobin; Aeros sign Henderson - Houston Aeros
- P-Bruins Fall To Sharks 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Three goals from Sound Tiger defensemen not enough at Lowell beats Sound Tigers 5-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kennedy Scores Late as Pirates Win 4-3 Over Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Bulldogs fall to Moose, 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose sweep Bulldogs, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Recalls Dan Jancevski From Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals fall to Chops in Shoot-out - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.