Shane O'Neill to join U.S. U-20 squad for Toulon Tournament on June 2
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Monday, May 20, 2013) - Colorado Rapids midfielder Shane O'Neill has been named to the U.S. Under-20 National Team by Head Coach Tab Ramos for the 2013 Toulon Tournament which runs from May 28-June 8. O'Neill will join the squad and fellow Rapids teammate Dillon Serna on June 2 after the Rapids take on FC Dallas on June 1 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park and stay through the remainder of the tournament.
"Shane has been an important part of our defensive line over the last two months and we're happy that he can still participate in the tournament while not missing one of our regular season matches," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "Both Shane and Dillon Serna have developed tremendously since their time with the Development Academy teams, and for Tab to recognize that is a great honor for our club and our youth system."
O'Neill, a Homegrown Player from Boulder, Colo., was a key player in the 2012 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, starting all five games of the tournament where the United States finished second and qualified for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup. The 19-year-old has started seven of the Rapids' last nine matches in central defense, during which the Rapids have conceded just six goals and earned a 4-2-3 record.
Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Cody Cropper (Southampton FC; Maple Grove, Minn.), Kendall McIntosh (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa, Calif.)
DEFENDERS (7): Eric Miller (Creighton; Woodbury, Minn.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (C.D. Guadalajara; Riverside, Calif.), Shane O'Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Jeffrey Payeras (C.S.D. Municipal; Hawthorne, Calif.), Caleb Stanko (SC Freiburg; Holly, Mich.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Javan Torre (UCLA; Santa Monica, Calif.)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; Plano, Texas), Marlon Hairston (Louisville; Jackson, Miss.), Benji Joya (Santos Laguna; San Jose, Calif.), Mikey Lopez (Sporting Kansas City; Mission, Texas), Collin Martin (Wake Forest; Chevy Chase, Md.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew; Gahanna, Ohio)
FORWARDS (6): Daniel Cuevas (Santos Laguna; Sacramento, Calif.), Daniel Garcia (North Carolina; Dallas, Texas), Alonso Hernandez (C.F. Monterrey; El Paso, Texas), Alfred Koroma (Akron; Southlake, Texas), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders Academy; Mercer Island, Wash.), Victor Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bolingbrook, Ill.)
The 41st edition of the Toulon Tournament features 10 countries placed in two five-team groups. The USA is in Group A with Colombia, Congo DR, South Korea and host France. Group B includes Belgium, Brazil, Mexico, Nigeria and Portugal. The U.S. opens the tournament against France on Tuesday, May 28, at Stade Léo-Lagrange in Toulon. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. local (1:30 p.m. ET). The group stage features four games, after which the group winners face each other in the championship match and the group runners-up meet in the third-place game. Both matches take place on Saturday, June 8. Following the Toulon Tournament, the USA kicks off the group stage of the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup against Spain on June 21 at Türk Telekom Arena in Istanbul, Turkey.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 20, 2013
- Reserve League: Chivas USA Comes out on Top - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Forward Eddie Johnson Named MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Weekly Update - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Homegrown Midfielder Victor Pineda Named To U.S. U-20 Roster For Toulon Tournament - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Unveils Six-Match Ticketing Plan - D.C. United
- Sporting KC and Dynamo Set For May 26 Rematch - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Reserves Fall to Chivas USA Reserves - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers U-23s Eric Miller Called Up to U.S. U-20 National Team - Portland Timbers
- Ticket Information Announced for Red Bulls Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Match - New York Red Bulls
- Mexico Announces Roster for 2013 U.S. Tour Match against Nigeria in Houston on May 31 - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers U-23 Play Host to Charleston Battery Tuesday in Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Seattle Sounders FC forward Eddie Johnson voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Shane O'Neill to join U.S. U-20 squad for Toulon Tournament on June 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Gavric and Bridgewater Voted Into Earthquakes Hall of Fame - San Jose Earthquakes
- Mechack Jerome and Peterson Joseph selected to Haiti Men's National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Wil Trapp Called in for United States U-20 Duty - Columbus Crew SC
- Jordan Morris Called in by U.S. U-20 MNT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Announce Upcoming Schedule Change - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC midfielder Mikey Lopez Named to U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Dillon Serna named to U.S. U-20 Roster for Toulon Tournament - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer and Windows 8 bring fans the smartest league experience - MLS
- Grabavoy Brace Powers Real Salt Lake to 4-1 Victory at Chivas USA - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Fall to Real Salt Lake at Home - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Sign Striker Yannick Boli
- Rapids Defender Kortne Ford out 8-10 Weeks with Sprained MCL
- Colorado Rapids Sign 2018 MLS SuperDraft Selection Niki Jackson
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Joe Mason on Loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Midfielder Enzo Martinez from USL-Affiliate Charlotte Independence