Timbers U-23 Play Host to Charleston Battery Tuesday in Open Cup
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers U-23s play host to the Charleston Battery of USL PRO on Tuesday in the second round of the 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at JELD-WEN Field; kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. (Pacific).
Tickets, priced at $10, are available for purchase through the JELD-WEN Field box office or online at www.portlandtimbers.com.
The winner of the second-round match between the Timbers U-23s and Battery will advance to face the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer in the third round on Tuesday, May 28.
The Timbers U-23s, competing in their second consecutive U.S. Open Cup, advanced to the second round of the 2013 tournament after a 3-2 comeback win over the Sacramento Gold in the first round at JELD-WEN Field on May 14. Trailing 2-0 after 25 minutes, the Timbers U-23s responded with three unanswered goals, one each from forward Zack Foxhoven and midfielder Gabriel Conelian to level the score at 2-2 at halftime. Forward Mark Sherrod delivered the game-winning goal in the 78th minute.
The Timbers U-23s are one of 11 teams from the Premier Development League to advance to the second round of the 2013 U.S. Open Cup. Portland is in second place in the PDL's Northwest Division after opening its regular-season schedule with back-to-back victories over Sounders FC U-23s and North Sound SeaWolves FC last week.
Members of USL PRO, the Battery enter the 2013 U.S. Open Cup in the second round. Charleston has had success in the U.S. Open Cup, reaching the final of the 2008 U.S. Open Cup against D.C. United, becoming just the second non-first-division club to reach the finals since the inception of MLS in 1996.
Led by head coach Mike Anhaeuser, Charleston is off to a 6-2-0 start to the 2013 season, including a 2-0 win over the Houston Dynamo Reserves on Sunday, and currently sits in second place in USL PRO. The Battery won the 2012 USL PRO championship and the club features the league's second-leading scorer from last season in midfielder Nicki Paterson and 2012 USL PRO Rookie of the Year Jose Cuevas.
The Battery roster also includes midfielder Jarad van Schaik, who was a member of the Timbers U-23s from 2009-10. The Tualatin, Ore., native scored the team's first-ever goal in the 34th minute of its inaugural match against Victoria Highlanders FC on May 9, 2009.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 20, 2013
- Reserve League: Chivas USA Comes out on Top - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Forward Eddie Johnson Named MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Weekly Update - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Homegrown Midfielder Victor Pineda Named To U.S. U-20 Roster For Toulon Tournament - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Unveils Six-Match Ticketing Plan - D.C. United
- Sporting KC and Dynamo Set For May 26 Rematch - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Reserves Fall to Chivas USA Reserves - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers U-23s Eric Miller Called Up to U.S. U-20 National Team - Portland Timbers
- Ticket Information Announced for Red Bulls Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Match - New York Red Bulls
- Mexico Announces Roster for 2013 U.S. Tour Match against Nigeria in Houston on May 31 - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers U-23 Play Host to Charleston Battery Tuesday in Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Seattle Sounders FC forward Eddie Johnson voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Shane O'Neill to join U.S. U-20 squad for Toulon Tournament on June 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Gavric and Bridgewater Voted Into Earthquakes Hall of Fame - San Jose Earthquakes
- Mechack Jerome and Peterson Joseph selected to Haiti Men's National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Wil Trapp Called in for United States U-20 Duty - Columbus Crew SC
- Jordan Morris Called in by U.S. U-20 MNT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Announce Upcoming Schedule Change - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC midfielder Mikey Lopez Named to U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Dillon Serna named to U.S. U-20 Roster for Toulon Tournament - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer and Windows 8 bring fans the smartest league experience - MLS
- Grabavoy Brace Powers Real Salt Lake to 4-1 Victory at Chivas USA - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Fall to Real Salt Lake at Home - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Midfielders Andy Polo, David Guzman Called up for Intern Ational Matches
- Timbers Fall 4-0 to New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena
- Timbers Weekly Update
- Timbers Fall to La Galaxy 2-1 at Stubhub Center
- Timbers Acquire $100,000 General Allocation Money, 2019 International Spot from D.C. United