Series Opener Goes to Rome, Jackets Fall One-Game Back of 1st Place
NORTH AUGUSTA, SOUTH CAROLINA: Despite getting out to a 4-0 lead after the first inning, the Rome Braves (29-37) beat the Augusta GreenJackets (34-31) by a final of 7-4 on Thursday night. The loss, combined with a Charleston win over Greenville, puts the GreenJackets one-game back of 1st place with three games to go in the 1st half of the season.
Seth Corry started his night off slow, but he ended his night on the mound by allowing just two runs over four innings of work. The Jackets gave their starter some support in the 1st inning. They scored four runs as it was Diego Rincones with an RBI double to bring in the first run of the game at 1-0.
Later in the inning, a sacrifice fly off the bat of Jacob Gonzalez extended the lead to 2-0 and then it was Andres Angulo who singled to drive in two runs, and it was 4-0 Jackets.
Rome would not go quietly though. The Braves scored two runs in the 3rd inning to make it a 4-2 game. Then in the 5th inning, it was an RBI single for Logan Brown to make the score just 4-3 GreenJackets.
Greg Cullen led off the 7th inning for Rome and he tied the game at four with a solo home run, his 4th of the year.
Dilmer Mejia stymied the Jackets bats out of the Rome bullpen. He ended up with six-innings of no-hit baseball out of the bullpen for Rome, as he did not allow a run.
In the 8th inning, Rome broke through and took the lead. Jeremy Fernandez drove in two runs with an RBI triple, and it was an error on the catcher Angulo that allowed the third run of the inning to score and make it 7-4 Rome.
The GreenJackets could not muster up any more runs the rest of the way, and they fell 7-4 on Thursday night. After the 1st inning, the GreenJackets had just one-hit the rest of the game.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:05 PM vs Rome Braves (Atlanta Braves), SRP Park, North Augusta, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (ROM) RHP Odalvi Javier (2-3, 4.13 ERA) vs (AUG) TBD (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
While the GreenJackets have yet to announce a starting pitcher for Friday, the Rome Braves will go with Odalvi Javier on the mound in the 2nd game of the series. Javier will face the GreenJackets for the 2nd time this year after he made a start at SRP Park on May 22nd for Rome. In that outing, he went six innings while allowing three runs, and he struck out eight batters. The 22-year old was signed back in 2014 as an International Free agent from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. In his last start, he went 6.2 innings, and he allowed only one earned run against the Lexington Legends on June 8th.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Stunned in the Ninth; Tourists Fall to BlueClaws - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Roll by Shorebirds in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Series Opener Goes to Rome, Jackets Fall One-Game Back of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Comeback Claws Score Three in Ninth, Win 4-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Medina Dominates, Smith Goes Yard Twice as Dogs Overpower Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 13 vs. Lexington (Game 63) - Columbia Fireflies
- Thursday's Road Contest in Hagerstown Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Opener Versus West Virginia Postponed - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kip Bouknight to Make Appearance at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Notes (June 13) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Pimento Cheese to Debut on August 2nd - Augusta GreenJackets
- MiLB, Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation Partner on Prostate Cancer Awareness Campaign - SAL
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Will Carry on Despite Elimination - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Rome Wins Finale 3-2 to Take Series vs Charleston - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.