Comeback Claws Score Three in Ninth, Win 4-3
ASHEVILLE, NC - Abrahan Gutierrez singled home the game-winning run to cap a three-run BlueClaws ninth inning as Lakewood came from behind to top Asheville 4-3 on Thursday night at McCormick Field.
The win is Lakewood's second straight and puts them at 26-41 on the season while the Tourists fall to 29-38. It was the first meeting of the season between the two teams.
Trailing 3-1 in the ninth, Ben Pelletier doubled and scored on a SAC fly from Jake Holmes. With two outs, Yerwin Trejo singled and Jonathan Guzman tripled off the centerfield wall to tie the game before Gutierrez's game-winning single up the middle.
All three runs were scored off Asheville closer Alexander Martinez, who entered the game with a league-best 14 saves.
The win was the first for the BlueClaws in 32 games in which they trailed after eight innings.
The Tourists got the tying run to second base with two outs in the ninth, but Gilmael Troya got Grant Lavigne to ground to second base to end the game. Troya picked up his second save of the season.
Victor Santos (3-6) earned the win, allowing one run in three innings of relief.
Asheville got one run - a Kyle Datres RBI single - off Francisco Morales in his four innings of work, to take a 1-0 lead. Will Golsan homered off Mark Potter in the sixth and singled home a run off Victor Santos in the sixth.
The BlueClaws got on the board in the seventh when Cole Stobbe scored on a wild pitch.
Guzman, Gutierrez, Pelletier, and Trejo all had two hits for the BlueClaws.
Tourists starter Nick Bush came out after recording five outs. Raymells Rosa threw 3.1 scoreless innings in relief.
The teams continue their series on Friday night at McCormick Field. RHP Kevin Gowdy starts for Lakewood at 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Stunned in the Ninth; Tourists Fall to BlueClaws - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Roll by Shorebirds in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Series Opener Goes to Rome, Jackets Fall One-Game Back of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Comeback Claws Score Three in Ninth, Win 4-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Medina Dominates, Smith Goes Yard Twice as Dogs Overpower Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 13 vs. Lexington (Game 63) - Columbia Fireflies
- Thursday's Road Contest in Hagerstown Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Opener Versus West Virginia Postponed - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kip Bouknight to Make Appearance at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Notes (June 13) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Pimento Cheese to Debut on August 2nd - Augusta GreenJackets
- MiLB, Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation Partner on Prostate Cancer Awareness Campaign - SAL
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Will Carry on Despite Elimination - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Rome Wins Finale 3-2 to Take Series vs Charleston - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.