Series at Tri-City Tied After Loss for Bears
The Yakima Bears lost 6-3 after a late rally from the Tri-City Dust Devils at Gesa Stadium Tuesday night. The Bears now have an 11-21 record on the season.
Both starters went six innings while allowing two earned runs, and, with the even match-up, neither earned a decision. Bears starter Teo Gutierrez gave up two runs in the second inning, but he finished with seven strikeouts in the quality start.
The two runs scored off of Dust Devils starter Vianney Mayo came one at a time in the fifth and sixth innings. Garrett Weber was plated in the fifth inning on a bases loaded groundout. Henry Zabala hit a two-out RBI-single in the sixth to score Jimmy Comerota and tie the game.
The Bears took the lead in the seventh inning when David Narodowski scored from second base on an error at first base in which the baseball never left the infield.
The lead was short lived, as Tri-City scored four runs off of relievers Miles Reagan and Drew Zizinia, including a three-run home run by Dust Devils clean-up hitter Jared Simon. Reagan took the loss, although none of the three runs he allowed were earned. Zizinia was the one who gave up the homer.
The Bears outhit the Dust Devils 7-6. Leading the way was outfielder Henry Zabala, who went 3-for-4 with an RBI. Comerota extended his hit streak to seven straight games with a single, while Westley Moss, Danny Pulfer, and Steve Rodriguez collected the other hits.
The three-game series between the Bears and Dust Devils is now tied at 1-1. The series finale is scheduled for 7:15 Wednesday night at Gesa Stadium. Lefty Adam Kudryk is scheduled to pitch for the Bears against right-handed pitcher Ricardo Ferrer of the Dust Devils.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 20, 2011
- Indians Sweep Hawks out of Town with 6-4 Win - Spokane Indians
- More Bullpen Struggles Leads To Loss - Yakima Bears
- Hawks Swept by Indians - Boise Hawks
- Dust Devils Win Game, Serise Against Bears - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Series at Tri-City Tied After Loss for Bears - Yakima Bears
- Indians Ride Big 5th Inning to 10-3 Victory Over Hawks - Spokane Indians
- Tri-City Evens Series with Bears - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Big Fifth Dooms Hawks - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.