September 14, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes
MAKE IT SEVEN-STRAIGHT WINS - The Sea Dogs started the scoring barrage in the bottom of the second inning. Hudson Potts reached on a fielder's choice then moved to third on a double by Roldani Baldwin. Jeison Rosario then singled home Potts and Portland was on the board, 1-0. Three consecutive singles drove home two more runs for the Sea Dogs. With Williams at second and Granberg at first, Ryan Fitzgerald deposited a two-run single to left field and Portland led, 5-0 after the first inning. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Devlin Granberg drew a leadoff walk. Fitzgerald then reached on a fielding error by the Rumble Ponies. Ronaldo Hernandez singled up the middle, driving home two runs extending Portland's lead 7-0. Hernandez then scored on an RBI groundout by Roldani Baldwin and the Sea Dogs led, 8-0 after the fifth inning. Kole Cottam blasted a leadoff homer to right field in the bottom of the seventh inning, his fourth of the season. Williams scored the Sea Dogs' final run of the game after an RBI double by Granberg.
MURPHY NAMED PITCHER OF THE WEEK...AGAIN - For the second time this season, Chris Murphy has been named the Double-A Northeast League Pitcher of the Week for the week of September 6th-12th. Murphy made one start for the Sea Dogs during the week holding the Binghamton Rumble Ponies to two hits over six scoreless innings. He struck out 11 and did not walk a batter as he earned his third win of the season. Murphy has made six starts for the Sea Dogs since being promoted from High-A Greenville on July 31st. He has notched a 3-2 record with a 3.86 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 32.2 innings.
GROOME CONTINUES TO DOMINATE - Jay Groome dazzled in his second Double-A start for Portland. He tossed 6.0 shutout innings allowing two hits while walking one and striking out nine on Sunday afternoon. He has not allowed a run in his first two starts with the Sea Dogs spanning 11.0 innings. Groome has recorded 19 strikeouts in that time.
ACTIVE STREAKS - LHP Rio Gomez has not allowed a run in his last 15 appearances spanning 23.0 innings with only 13 hits and 26 strikeouts. RHP Joan Martinez has not allowed a run in his last 10 games (12.0 innings) while allowing eight hits and striking out 14.
WHERE DO WE STAND - The Sea Dogs are currently in fourth place in the Double-A Northeast League, 3.0 games out of a playoff spot. The Akron RubberDucks remain in first place with the Somerset Patriots in second place, 2.0 games back. The Bowie Baysox are 2.5 games behind Akron in third place. The RubberDucks and Patriots go head-to-head this week as the Baysox will take on the Altoona Curve.
ON THE MOUND - Victor Santos makes his seventh start of the year for the Sea Dogs this evening. He last pitched on September 10th 9/10 and tossed one inning out of the bullpen allowing one run on two hits. The one run was solo homer. He last started September 3rd at New Hampshire and pitched 5.1 innings allowing two runs on six hits while walking two and striking out five.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Matt Dennis Solid Again in Goats Defeat - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Winning Streak Extends to Eight Games in Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Drop Series Opener against Reading - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Squirrels Pitching Punches out 10 in 6-3 Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Morales, Muzziotti Power R-Phils to Victory - Reading Fightin Phils
- Walks Weary on Erie in Series-Opening Loss - Erie SeaWolves
- September 14, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fermín's 6 RBI Lead Ducks to 8-6 Comeback Win over Patriots - Akron RubberDucks
- Late Akron Runs Down Somerset - Somerset Patriots
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Pete Rose Headlines 2021 Granite State Baseball Dinner - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.