Matt Dennis Solid Again in Goats Defeat
Hartford, CT - Yard Goats starter Matt Dennis turned in another solid outing, but Portland defeated Hartford by the score of 2-1 in the opener of the final homestand of the season on Tuesday night at Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford. The right-hander hurled seven innings and allowed just one run on two hits with eight strikeouts. Sea Dogs OF Pedro Castellanos homered and drove in both runs, and starter Victor Santos retired the first 15 batters faced, as the Red Sox affiliate won its eighth consecutive game. Sean Bouchard had an RBI double, his 28th of the season (T-3rd most in league).
Pitching dominated on Tuesday night as Matt Dennis and Victor Santos kept the game scoreless over the first five innings. Dennis worked out of a first inning jam and then cruised over the next four innings. Santos sat down the first 15 batters with three strikeouts before the Yard Goats got their first baserunner on an error in the sixth inning.
The Sea Dogs scored the first run of the game in the sixth inning when Pedro Castellanos homered over the right field fence, giving Portland a 1-0 lead. It was his 12th home run this season and just the second hit of the game for the Sea Dogs.
The Yard Goats tied the game in the bottom of the sixth inning. Willie MacIver reached on an error by right fielder Castellanos and advanced to second on a single by Jose Gomez. Later in the inning, Sean Bouchard drilled a two-out double to left field, scoring MacIver and tying the game at 1-1.
Portland broke the 1-1 tie with a run in the eighth inning off reliever Zach Matson. Jeisson Rosario led off the frame with a double. Castellanos drove him in with a single to left field, giving Portland a 2-1 lead. The Yard Goats got a leadoff single in the eighth inning, and a one-out walk in the ninth but did not score.
The Yard Goats continue their final homestand of the season on Wednesday evening against the Red Sox affiliate, the Portland Sea Dogs. Tickets are available by visiting the website, yardgoatsbaseball.com. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and FM 100.9 FM and newsradio1410.iheart.com and the video stream available on MiLB.TV.
Portland 2, Hartford 1
WP- Adam Politi (6-9)
LP- Zach Matson (2-2)
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Matt Dennis Solid Again in Goats Defeat - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Winning Streak Extends to Eight Games in Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Drop Series Opener against Reading - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Squirrels Pitching Punches out 10 in 6-3 Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Morales, Muzziotti Power R-Phils to Victory - Reading Fightin Phils
- Walks Weary on Erie in Series-Opening Loss - Erie SeaWolves
- September 14, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fermín's 6 RBI Lead Ducks to 8-6 Comeback Win over Patriots - Akron RubberDucks
- Late Akron Runs Down Somerset - Somerset Patriots
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Pete Rose Headlines 2021 Granite State Baseball Dinner - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.