Section 615: West Nashville Dream Center Uses Soccer to Empower Kids in Crisis
NASHVILLE - Soccer is a game that can bring people together and inspire future generations to dream big.
That's precisely why the West Nashville Dream Center was delighted to bring along kids and volunteers from their programs to take in Nashville SC's match against Bethlehem Steel FC on Saturday night in Section 615. The Dream Center aims to improve the safety and quality of life of an under-resourced community in West Nashville and surrounding neighborhoods.
That work includes helping families that live in underserved communities secure enough food to eat, providing community programming for kids and parents, including summer programs for kids and single mom groups, and also special outings like Saturday night's Nashville SC match. Seeing professional athletes that play in their backyard can make a tremendous impact on kids.
"It is great for them to feel like they're part of the Nashville community, and the other thing is we're always trying to inspire kids to believe that they can do more than they're being told," said TJ Fletcher, Executive Director of the West Nashville Dream Center. "And so when they come in their own city and they see their own soccer team playing, I just think it will be a lot more impactful this weekend when they're out playing soccer with our volunteers or their friends."
Many of the children that attended Saturday's match otherwise might not have ever gotten to attend a professional sports game. The simple ability to experience something like a Nashville SC match can go a long way towards opening the world to families in crisis.
"It's super important to us for our kids and their families to experience things they wouldn't normally experience," Fletcher said. "Because often times people that are living in crisis don't realize that there's so much more out there, and so they stay in crisis. So we like to expose people to new things that are completely outside of their world, to inspire them to do more with their lives."
For Fletcher, who helps to guide families through all of the trials and tribulations of life, seeing a group of kids coming out of their shells for a night and having fun is something very special.
"It's pretty amazing because I also see their day to day lives," she said. "The kind of work that we do, I see everything. I see it when they're down and I see it when they're up. And so when you see a child get to experience something that they wouldn't normally get to experience, but you also know how hard it's been in their regular life, it's pretty powerful."
If you'd like to get involved or volunteer with the West Nashville Dream Center, visit their website at WestNashDC.com and follow them on Twitter and Instagram @WestNashDC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 13, 2019
- Indy Eleven Downs Detroit City FC 1-0 in Road Friendly - Indy Eleven
- Section 615: West Nashville Dream Center Uses Soccer to Empower Kids in Crisis - Nashville SC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Announce Date for Rescheduled Match vs Portland Timbers 2 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- T2 Announce Date for Rescheduled Road Match against El Paso Locomotive FC - Portland Timbers 2
- Nashville SC to Attend Live on the Green Starting Thursday. August 15 - Nashville SC
- Apocalypse World: Beyond Wasteland Comes to Greater Nevada Field - Reno 1868 FC
- Lights FC Unveil Leagues Cup "Two-Pack" - Fans Get Two Matches for Price of One - Las Vegas Lights FC
- North Carolina FC Captain Austin da Luz to Retire Following 2019 Season - North Carolina FC
- Nashville SC Defender Forrest Lasso Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- McCabe Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Louisville City FC
- Ramon Del Campo Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Fresno FC
- Solomon Asante Earns USL Team of the Week Honorable Mention - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio's Parano Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named USL Championship Player of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Steel FC's Morton Earns USL Championship Team of the Week Honors - Bethlehem Steel FC
- USL Inks League-Wide Partnership with ISBI 360 - USL
- Francis Jacobs Signs Professional Contract with Orange County SC - Orange County SC
- Austin Bold FC Receives Defender Gustavo Rissi - Austin Bold FC
- Indy Eleven Signs Midfielder Drew Conner - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks FC Sign Forward Fernando Gonzalez Delfin - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Toronto FC - Ottawa Fury FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Washington Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 24
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. New York Red Bulls II
- Preview: Nashville SC Battles New York Red Bulls II in Clash of Top Clubs in the East
- Nashville SC Earns Strong Road Win in Charlotte to Set up Top-Three Battle on Wednesday
- Nashville SC Fans Show Support for Injured Captain Michael Reed