Francis Jacobs Signs Professional Contract with Orange County SC
IRVINE, Calif. - Orange County Soccer Club today announced the signing of 14-year-old standout Francis Jacobs, who becomes the youngest male to sign a professional contract in United States soccer history. The Laguna Beach native joins amid interest from multiple European clubs and is eligible to make his historic first appearance as early as Saturday, August 17 against Las Vegas Lights FC.
"Francis is a special Orange County talent and has shown a maturity on the field way beyond his years," said President of Soccer Operations & General Manager Oliver Wyss. "He is the perfect model of player to develop in our pathway to professional program that we have established here in Orange County. The entire organization is committed to providing him with guidance, training and support as he begins the first step in what we believe will be a long professional soccer career. Our training environment will allow him to learn every day from our experienced technical staff and play alongside top pro players, some of which have played on the highest international level in Mexico and Europe. Francis has a bright future ahead and we are proud to have him and his family as part of Orange County SC."
"I am very excited for Francis, who is a young and gifted local talent, to join our team," said Head Coach Braeden Cloutier. "I've been really impressed with his poise and ability on the ball that he's shown us these past few months. This is a great opportunity for Francis, and also an exciting challenge for the entire Orange County SC technical staff to do everything possible to help him reach his fullest potential."
Jacobs joins OCSC following a successful stint with Irvine Strikers, where his performances earned him national team call-ups with both the United States U-14 National Team and, most recently, as a participant in the 2018 U.S. Junior National Team camp. Jacobs becomes the youngest ever professional after inking his deal at 14 years, 4 months, and 29 days.
Jacobs will now look to follow in the footsteps of Orange County SC teammate Aaron Cervantes, who signed his first professional contract aged 15 years old prior to the 2018 USL Championship season. This year, Cervantes has become a regular in goal for OCSC recording eight appearances and two shutouts while splitting time with the United States U-17 National Team.
"It is really exciting to be playing for Orange County SC," said Francis Jacobs. "I would like to thank Mr. Keston, Oliver & Braeden for giving me this special opportunity. I want to make everybody who has helped me get here proud and I am looking forward to the future."
Having trained with Orange County SC and clearing eligibility requirements for USL Championship play, Jacobs is eligible to take the field as early as Saturday, August 17 against Las Vegas Lights FC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 13, 2019
- Indy Eleven Downs Detroit City FC 1-0 in Road Friendly - Indy Eleven
- Section 615: West Nashville Dream Center Uses Soccer to Empower Kids in Crisis - Nashville SC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Announce Date for Rescheduled Match vs Portland Timbers 2 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- T2 Announce Date for Rescheduled Road Match against El Paso Locomotive FC - Portland Timbers 2
- Nashville SC to Attend Live on the Green Starting Thursday. August 15 - Nashville SC
- Apocalypse World: Beyond Wasteland Comes to Greater Nevada Field - Reno 1868 FC
- Lights FC Unveil Leagues Cup "Two-Pack" - Fans Get Two Matches for Price of One - Las Vegas Lights FC
- North Carolina FC Captain Austin da Luz to Retire Following 2019 Season - North Carolina FC
- Nashville SC Defender Forrest Lasso Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- McCabe Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Louisville City FC
- Ramon Del Campo Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Fresno FC
- Solomon Asante Earns USL Team of the Week Honorable Mention - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio's Parano Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named USL Championship Player of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Steel FC's Morton Earns USL Championship Team of the Week Honors - Bethlehem Steel FC
- USL Inks League-Wide Partnership with ISBI 360 - USL
- Francis Jacobs Signs Professional Contract with Orange County SC - Orange County SC
- Austin Bold FC Receives Defender Gustavo Rissi - Austin Bold FC
- Indy Eleven Signs Midfielder Drew Conner - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks FC Sign Forward Fernando Gonzalez Delfin - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Toronto FC - Ottawa Fury FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- Orange County SC Signs U.S. U17 International Bryang Kayo
- From Historic Goal to Life Goal: Orozco Back Playing at Home
- Orange County Derail El Paso Locomotive
- Alston Finds Home, Happiness in USL
- Orange County SC Welcome El Paso Locomotive for Inaugurual Fiesta de Futbol