SECOND-PERIOD SURGE VAULTS OCEANIC PAST SEA DOGS
SAINT JOHN - The Rimouski Oceanic scored three goals in just over two minutes late in the second period on their way to a 6-1 victory over the Saint John Sea Dogs, Wednesday at Harbour Station.
Alexis Lafreniere scored twice for Rimouski (24-10-4-0) while Charle-Edouard D'Astous, Yannik Bertrand, Parker Bowman and Carson MacKinnon also scored. Former Sea Dog Samuel Dove-McFalls, playing his first game as a visitor after four seasons with Saint John, added three assists.
Kevin Gursoy had the only goal for Saint John (11-21-5-2).
A scoring summary is available HERE .
The game remained scoreless until just over a minute into the second period when Gursoy netted his third goal in his last three games.
Cedric Pare sent a long shot from the high slot that was kicked out by goalie Colten Ellis. It went right to the rookie Gursoy at the left of the net, where the native of Windsor, Ontario, rifled the rebound into the top of the goal.
D'Astous tied the game with six minutes left in the period, taking a pass on the right side of the slot and snapping a quick shot past the blocker of Alex D'Orio in the Saint John net.
Nearly two minutes later, Bertrand created open ice for himself on the right wing and ripped a wrister past D'Orio's blocker.
It became a 3-1 game only 18 seconds after that.
Bowman carried the puck down the right wing and snapped a shot under the glove of D'Orio and inside the right post.
The three Oceanic goals in the second period were scored in a 2:02 span.
MacKinnon added to the visitors' lead four minutes into the third, finishing off a 2-on-1 feed on the left side of the slot with a snap shot under D'Orio's glove.
Lafreniere, the first overall pick in the 2017 QMJHL Entry Draft, scored his goals 35 seconds apart with under three minutes remaining.
Dove-McFalls sent a no-look back-pass from the left corner across the crease to a streaking Lafreniere, who whipped it inside the left post.
Lafreniere wrapped up the scoring with a breakaway goal, beating D'Orio on his glove side.
Ellis made 34 stops and was named second star in the victory. D'Orio made 25 saves in a losing cause.
Dove-McFalls took first star with three points. Sea Dog blueliner Nathan Larose snared third star with one assist in front of 3,744 fans in attendance.
Saint John's next game is Saturday, January 6th, at 7 p.m. against the Halifax Mooseheads at Harbour Station.
Tickets are available at the Harbour Station Box Office and online .
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from January 7, 2018
- Wildcats Trade Defenceman Jaxon Bellamy to Sherbrooke for 1st And - Moncton Wildcats
- Wildcats Acquire Rights to Defenceman James Orr in Trade - Moncton Wildcats
- Wildcats Acquire Rights to Defenceman James Orr in Trade With - Moncton Wildcats
- SECOND-PERIOD SURGE VAULTS OCEANIC PAST SEA DOGS - Saint John Sea Dogs
- D'ORIO, PARE WIN MONTHLY TEAM AWARDS - Saint John Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Sea Dogs Stories
- You're Invited - Sea Dogs Hall of Fame Induction of Jonathan Huberdeau
- April Update: Humboldt Broncos; Radim Salda NHL Draft; Sea Dogs Alumni Break Record
- In Support of the Humboldt Broncos
- Sea Dogs Awarded Second Overall Pick in 2018 QMJHL Entry Draf
- Salda Named to QMJHL Rookie All-Star Team