Sebrango Invited to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp
CALGARY, Alta. - Forty-four of the nation's top under-18 hockey players have been invited to attend Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team selection camp, set for July 26-30 at the Markin MacPhail Centre at WinSport's Canada Olympic Park in Calgary. Kitchener Rangers defenceman, Donovan Sebrango is among the invited players.
The players, including four goaltenders, 14 defencemen and 26 forwards, will compete for a chance to represent Canada at 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup in Breclav, Czech Republic, and Piestany, Slovakia. The camp roster includes two players who were part of Canada's National Men's Under-18 Team that finished fourth at the 2019 IIHF U18 World Championship in Sweden (Drysdale, Hunt).
"We are excited to bring together a group of 44 athletes with a solid foundation of junior and international experience for selection camp. The under-18 camp is unlike any other, as players are being evaluated from the moment they arrive at camp and are preparing to compete in short-term competition," said Shawn Bullock, director of men's national teams for Hockey Canada. "Historically, Canada has been successful at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, and we know all 44 players will come to camp ready to compete for a spot on the team and the opportunity to wear the Maple Leaf in international competition."
One of the only true, best-on-best competitions for this age group, the Hlinka Gretzky Cup will see Team Canada play its preliminary-round games at Ice Bors Arena in Breclav. The event will run from Aug. 5-10, with Canada facing off against the Czech Republic, Finland and Switzerland in prelim play before the tournament wraps up with the bronze and gold medal games on Aug. 10.
In 2018, the tournament was rebranded as the Hlinka Gretzky Cup and hosted in Canada, with Edmonton and Red Deer, Alta., serving as co-hosts. Canada captured gold on home ice, defeating Sweden 6-2 in the gold medal game with a team that included 14 players who were selected in the 2019 NHL Draft last weekend.
Canada has won gold 22 times in 28 years of summer under-18 competition, along with two silver medals and one bronze.
For more information on Hockey Canada, Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team and the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow through social media on Facebook, Twitter and Twitter.com/HC_Men.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Battalion Eyes Import Draft - North Bay Battalion
- Sting Forward Jacob Perreault Selected to National Men's Under 18 Selection Camp - Sarnia Sting
- Danny Zhilkin and Jacob Maillet Invited to Canada's National Under-17 Development Camp - Guelph Storm
- 2019 CHL Import Draft Set for Thursday, June 27 - OHL
- 2019 NHL Draft Recap - Mississauga Steelheads
- Petes to Select 28th Overall in 2019 CHL Import Draft on Thursday - Peterborough Petes
- Storm Players Head to NHL Development Camps - Guelph Storm
- London Knights to Participate in 2019 CHL Import Draft - London Knights
- O'Rourke Invited to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Soo Greyhounds
- Ty Tullio and Lleyton Moore Named to Hockey Canada's National Men's Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Oshawa Generals
- Perfetti & Lennox Invited to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team - Saginaw Spirit
- Sebrango Invited to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Kitchener Rangers
- Tecumseh Native Maggio Acquired from Ottawa - Windsor Spitfires
- 67's Acquire Pair of 2nd Round Picks in Deal with Windsor - Ottawa 67's
- Knights at NHL Development Camps - London Knights