Sands Dominates, Miracle Take Finale 4-0
JUPITER, Fla. - Cole Sands tossed five hitless innings to lead the Miracle to a 4-0 victory over the Jupiter Hammerheads on Sunday afternoon at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium.
The win clinched a series split of the four-game set for the Miracle. Sands (1-1), who threw just 60 pitches in his first start since being activated from the injured list, faced the minimum and struck out six to earn his first High-A win.
Sands walked Victor Victor Mesa to open the bottom of the first, but caught Mesa stealing second base when he left too soon from first. Sands proceeded to set down the next 14 hitters he faced and threw 38 pitches for strikes.
Johan Quezada and Derek Molina completed the shutout for the Miracle, each pitching a pair of scoreless innings and striking out three. Quezada allowed the first Jupiter hit, a two-out single to Luis Arcaya in the sixth. Jupiter had just three hits in the game, after putting up 35 in the first three games of the series.
The Miracle opened the scoring in the second when Ryan Costello hit a mammoth solo home run to right, his sixth of the season. Michael Helman doubled the lead in the fourth inning with an RBI single.
Trevor Larnach made it 3-0 with an RBI double in the fifth, his league-leading 25th double of the season. Ryan Jeffers followed with an RBI single.
Chris Vallimont (0-1) suffered the loss for Jupiter in his High-A debut. The right-hander went five innings and allowed all four Miracle runs on nine hits. He struck out three.
The Miracle have the day off Monday before opening a three-game series against the Charlotte Stone Crabs on Tuesday night. Right-hander Jhoan Duran will start for the Miracle. First pitch from Charlotte Sports Park is 6:30 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Offense Busts out in Series Win against Palm Beach - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Comeback Bid Falls Short in Loss to Daytona - Clearwater Threshers
- Castillo, Gilliam Go Yard as Tampa Blanks Bradenton, 2-0 - Tampa Tarpons
- 'Tugas Avoid Sweep, Hold off Threshers, 7-5 - Daytona Tortugas
- Sands Dominates, Miracle Take Finale 4-0 - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- St. Lucie Arms Stifle Florida Bats, 7-2 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Romero Fans Nine in 7-3 Win over Lakeland - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Nunez Dominates, Mets Take 3 of 4 from Fire Frogs - St. Lucie Mets
- Dunedin Looks for Series Win against Cardinals - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Myers Mighty Mussels Stories
- Mussels to Offer Ballpark Food To-Go
- Aaron Sutton Named First Mussels Manager
- Mighty Mussels to Host Ballpark Festival of Beers on January 25
- 'Mighty Mussels' Baseball Team to Debut in Fort Myers
- Zawyer Sports Announces New President, Management Team to Oversee Fort Myers Miracle