Sands and Funderburk Shutdown Travs for Wichita's Third Straight Win
WICHITA, KS - The duo of Cole Sands and Kody Funderburk limited the Arkansas Traveler offense to just one run to led Wichita to a game four victory at Riverfront Stadium.
The Wind Surge offense did not need to do much tonight, but they picked up the runs they needed to win game four. The scoring started off in the bottom of the second inning. Leobaldo Cabrera led off the inning with a double down the left field line to set himself in scoring position. The next batter, Jermaine Palacios, ripped the first pitch he saw right back up the middle to score Cabrera from second and put the first run on the board for Wichita.
The Surge added the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh. In just the third pitch of the inning, Ernie De La Trinidad came up clutch again with his ninth home run of the season. De La Trinidad blasted this one 401 feet over the left center field wall to put the Surge ahead 2-0.
The Travelers did not go away easily in the top of the ninth. Zach DeLoach led off the inning with a double to left field to put the tying run at the plate. A couple batters later, DeLoach scored on an infield single combined with an error to plate the first run for Arkansas. Jordan Cowan continued the two-out rally with a single to move the tying run to second and the go-ahead run on first. Kody Funderburk buckled down and struck out Jose Caballero to end the threat and seal a 2-1 victory for Wichita.
Cole Sands shutout the Travelers in his 18th start of the year. Sands threw 5.0 innings, allowed no runs on just three hits, and struck out four. Kody Funderburk earned his third save of the year with 4.0 innings of relief. Funderburk allowed one run on three hits and struck out five on the night.
Reminder Wind Surge playoff tickets for game three of the series will go on sale Saturday morning (09/18) at 10:00 am. Click here to purchase your tickets.
NOTES: Hector Lujan was activated from temporary inactive roster.
COMING UP: Wichita will play game five of the series against the Arkansas Travelers tomorrow evening (09/18). First pitch is set for 6:05 pm from Riverfront Stadium. Wichita will start RHP Austin Schulfer (6-7, 4.37 ERA) against Arkansas RHP George Kirby (0-1, 3.54 ERA). RADIO/TV: KGSO 1410 AM and 93.9 FM, MiLB.TV and Windsurge.com.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Central League message board...
Double-A Central League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Garrett's Two-Homer Night Highlights Soddies Win over Frisco - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Sands and Funderburk Shutdown Travs for Wichita's Third Straight Win - Wichita Wind Surge
- Big Seventh the Difference for SA - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Jonah, Jhonny & Montana; 'Hounds Win, 5-3 - Midland RockHounds
- Wichita Rallies for Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Wind Surge Clinch Division with Thursday Night Thriller - Wichita Wind Surge
- Former Owasso Ram Helps Midland Defeat Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Flying Chanclas Score Five Runs in the 7th to Defeat the Hooks - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wichita Wind Surge Stories
- Miranda, Varland Provide Hope for the Twin Cities
- Black Friday Deals- Ticket Vouchers & Merchandise Offer
- 2021 KJCCC Championship Game Sunday - Garden City vs Hutchinson
- Twins Announce 2021 Harmon Killebrew Award Winners
- Riverfront Stadium to Host KJCCC Championship Game