Wichita Rallies for Win
Wichita, KS - The Wichita Wind Surge came from behind to beat the Arkansas Travelers 3-2 on Thursday night and clinched the top seed in next week's league championship series. Three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning was enough for the Wind Surge to take the victory. Erik Manoah pitched 2.1 shutout frames out of the bullpen for the win. Travs starter Matt Brash battled for 5.2 innings but took the loss after being charged with three runs (two earned).
Moments That Mattered
* Jack Larsen gave the Travs the lead with a solo home run on the first pitch of the sixth inning.
* The lead did not last long as the Wind Surge answered in the bottom of the inning. They loaded the bases with one out and then after a strikeout, Ernie De La Trinidad singled home a pair on a 3-2 pitch to put Wichita on top. An insurance run scored when a throw to second with a runner going got into the outfield.
Notable Travs Performances
* RF Jack Larsen: 1-4, run, HR, RBI
* RHP Matt Brash: L, 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
News and Notes
* Julio Rodriguez had his seven game hitting streak snapped.
* With the loss, the Travs are now in third place, a half game back of Frisco for the last spot in the championship series. Northwest Arkansas and Tulsa are just one and 1.5 games back respectively.
Arkansas looks to bounce back on Friday night with left-hander Brandon Williamson (2-4, 3.67) on the mound against righty Cole Sands (2-3, 2.63). First pitch is at 7:05 and the game will be broadcast on AM 920 the Sports Animal, the First Pitch App and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Central League message board...
Double-A Central League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Garrett's Two-Homer Night Highlights Soddies Win over Frisco - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Sands and Funderburk Shutdown Travs for Wichita's Third Straight Win - Wichita Wind Surge
- Big Seventh the Difference for SA - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Jonah, Jhonny & Montana; 'Hounds Win, 5-3 - Midland RockHounds
- Wichita Rallies for Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Wind Surge Clinch Division with Thursday Night Thriller - Wichita Wind Surge
- Former Owasso Ram Helps Midland Defeat Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Flying Chanclas Score Five Runs in the 7th to Defeat the Hooks - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.