San Jose's Phillips Tosses Complete Game, One-Hit Shutout
San Jose, CA- The Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino were the victim of one of the finest pitching performances in recent California League memory falling 4-0 to the San Jose Giants on Sunday at Excite Ballpark. Giants righty Aaron Phillips was absolutely masterful and missed a no-hitter and perfect game by just a sixth inning single by Inland Empire (50-75, 24-32) second baseman Gleyvin Pineda.
Sixers' righty Cooper Criswell pitched beautifully alongside Phillips and did not allow a run through five innings but San Jose (56-69, 26-30) punched through to break a scoreless tie when, with two outs, Dalton Combs lined a 3-2 breaking ball into center for a two-run single and a 2-0 lead. Criswell (4-7) allowed two more in the seventh when he hit and then walked the first two batters of the frame before, with one out, Sandro Fabian drilled a two-run double to left for a 4-0 lead. It was the only extra-base hit of the game and gave Fabian the only multi-hit performance in the affair. Meanwhile Phillips (8-7) was rolling. The St. Bonaventure product set down the first 15 batters he faced and was ahead in the count 0-2 to open the sixth when Pineda lined a clean single to center. Phillips then retired the final 12 batters he faced to finish his one-hit, no-walk complete game shutout. The righty completed his masterpiece on 94 pitches, 64 of which were strikes. Phillips struck out eight batters as San Jose broke a four-game losing streak. Inland Empire finished its six0game road swing to the Stockton and San Jose 4-2 and the Sixers finished the season 7-7 against the Giants.
The series concludes Sunday at 5:00 pm. The contest can be heard live at 66ers.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Sixers Make It Two in a Row at San Jose - Inland Empire 66ers
- San Jose's Phillips Tosses Complete Game, One-Hit Shutout - Inland Empire 66ers
- Storm Surge Late, Send Ports to 5-4 Loss - Stockton Ports
- Unable to Complete Comeback, Nuts Lose 6-4 - Modesto Nuts
- JetHawks Take Rubber Game, Series - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inland Empire 66ers Stories
- Devin Davis Leads Sixers to 5-3 Win at Rancho Cucamonga
- Sixers Defeated by Quakes in 2019 Finale
- Herrin Dazzles on Mound, Rivas and Davis Deliver at Plate
- Cruz Hammers Three-Run Shot in Sixers Win at Rancho Cucamonga
- 66ers Comeback with Three in the Eighth, Take Three-Game Set