San Jose Earthquakes Sign Defenders Gargan, Harden
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced the signing of a pair of defenders on Friday, including center back Ty Harden and right back Dan Gargan. Per league and team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
"Both Dan and Ty are veterans who know the league well," said Earthquakes head coach Frank Yallop. "They're solid, dependable players who will help manage our additional workload this season with CONCACAF Champions League games to play. We're happy to have them in the fold."
Gargan, 30, is a seven-year MLS veteran who spent his last two seasons as a member of the Chicago Fire. The right back has two goals and eight assists in 123 career appearances while splitting time with the Colorado Rapids (2005-08), Chivas USA (2008), Toronto FC (2010-11) and Chicago Fire (2011-12). He was a regular starter for the Fire and helped the club reach the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2012 as well as the 2011 U.S. Open Cup Final. The former All-Big East selection was a co-captain for the Georgetown Hoyas in college.
Harden, 28, is a five-year MLS veteran who spent his last three years with Toronto FC. The 6-foot-1 center back has 74 appearances and 64 starts during his career. Current Earthquakes head coach Frank Yallop drafted Harden to play for the LA Galaxy in 2007 where the lanky center back started 24 games during his rookie season. After taking a year off from soccer, Harden returned in 2009 as a member of the Colorado Rapids before joining Toronto FC in 2010. In college, Harden captained the Washington Huskies and was a four-year starter in college.
"We're excited to have both of these guys. They add depth to our roster and will challenge for starting spots," said Earthquakes general manager John Doyle.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 25, 2013
- Basic objectives met in preseason opener vs. SKC - New England Revolution
- AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke named 2012 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revs open up 2013 preseason schedule with scoreless draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Loan Alvaro Fernandez to Al Rayyan - Chicago Fire
- Corey Ashe, Omar Cummings Undergo Surgery - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy midfielder Michael Stephens aiming for a starting role in 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Sign Defenders Gargan, Harden - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revs Sign Forward Matt Horth - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Releases Long Tan - D.C. United
- Galaxy announce local television broadcast schedules - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids sign midfielder Nick LaBrocca - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Receives Multiple Club Honors - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United acquires Casey Townsend from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Chivas USA trades forward Casey Townsend - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Defender Martin Bonjour Moves On - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rapids acquire forward Charles Eloundou in MLS lottery - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo, Liberman Broadcasting agree to multiyear broadcast partnership extension - Houston Dynamo
- Individual tickets for first two home games on sale tomorrow at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United signs Indonesian midfielder Syamsir Alam on loan - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Eight Quakes Players Nominated for 2018 MLS All-Star Team
- Earthquakes to Play Portland Timbers in U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round
- Avaya Stadium to Host Club America vs. Monarcas Morelia on July 8
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 21, 2018
- Earthquakes to Show Every 2018 FIFA World Cup Match at Avaya Stadium