AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke named 2012 Sports Executive of the Year
LOS ANGELES (January 25, 2013) - Championships in the National Hockey League and in Major League Soccer made for a pretty good year for AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke, as the AEG-owned Los Angeles Kings and LA Galaxy won the Stanley Cup and MLS Cup in 2012.
In recognition for an exceptional year, which also includes operating such facilities as STAPLES Center and The Home Depot Center and for guiding the development of Farmers Field, Leiweke will be honored as the 2012 Sports Executive of the Year during the 8th Annual LA Sports Awards, to be held on Sunday, March 3 at The Beverly Hilton.
The LA Sports Awards are presented annually by the L.A. Sports Council to celebrate the greatest moments of the year in sports in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.
Leiweke also received the Sports Executive award in 2010.
The star-studded awards dinner and gala will be televised by FOX Sports West and Prime Ticket (air dates TBA), and will include special appearances by many of the athletes, coaches and others whose achievements helped make 2012 such a memorable sports year.
The awards ceremony also will feature the naming of the Sportsman, Sportswoman, and Coach of the Year.
Presently, through balloting at www.lasports.org, fans can select and rank their Top 10 sports moments for 2012, as well as submit their vote in up to 14 different award categories. Voting takes place through January 31 and the winners will be revealed during the awards show.
The LA Sports Awards is a fundraiser for the non-profit Los Angeles Sports Council, which will utilize the event's proceeds to further its mission of promoting economic development through sports in the greater Los Angeles area. For dinner ticket information, contact Monica Maldonado at (213) 482-6352 or visit www.lasports.org.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 25, 2013
- Basic objectives met in preseason opener vs. SKC - New England Revolution
- AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke named 2012 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revs open up 2013 preseason schedule with scoreless draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Loan Alvaro Fernandez to Al Rayyan - Chicago Fire
- Corey Ashe, Omar Cummings Undergo Surgery - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy midfielder Michael Stephens aiming for a starting role in 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Sign Defenders Gargan, Harden - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revs Sign Forward Matt Horth - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Releases Long Tan - D.C. United
- Galaxy announce local television broadcast schedules - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids sign midfielder Nick LaBrocca - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Receives Multiple Club Honors - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United acquires Casey Townsend from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Chivas USA trades forward Casey Townsend - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Defender Martin Bonjour Moves On - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rapids acquire forward Charles Eloundou in MLS lottery - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo, Liberman Broadcasting agree to multiyear broadcast partnership extension - Houston Dynamo
- Individual tickets for first two home games on sale tomorrow at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United signs Indonesian midfielder Syamsir Alam on loan - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.