Rapids acquire forward Charles Eloundou in MLS lottery
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Friday, January 25, 2013) - The Colorado Rapids have acquired forward Charles Eloundou, an 18-year-old attacking player and member of the Cameroonian National Team, in a special lottery held at Major League Soccer headquarters on Friday morning. Eloundou, currently with Cameroon ahead of their friendly match against Tanzania on February 6, will join the Rapids in the coming weeks.
"This is an exciting acquisition for the Rapids, getting a player who has attracted attention from top clubs in Europe," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "He's got great pace, strength and skill, and at just 18 he's already in the set up for the full national team of Cameroon. We're looking forward to welcoming him into our squad."
One of the top young players in Africa, Eloundou was a star for the Cameroon U-20 National Team in 2012, scoring eight goals in seven matches during U-20 African Nations Cup qualifying. Those performances led him to be included with the full Cameroonian National Team for the Nehru Cup in India, where he played four matches. Eloundou joins the Rapids from Cameroonian first division club Unisport, where he scored nine goals in 20 matches last season. The forward originally made his debut for the Cameroon U-17 National Team in 2009 at just 14 years old, playing regularly with the side through 2011.
Eloundou was signed last week by Major League Soccer on a one-year loan with an option to buy from AS Fortuna in Cameroon. After being unable to secure a visa before the MLS Combine and SuperDraft, he was made eligible for MLS clubs in a special lottery, which the Rapids won over Real Salt Lake and D.C. United.
The Rapids will see their first competitive action of the 2013 preseason next week when they travel to Arizona to participate in the Desert Friendlies presented by Tucson FC, followed by the Las Vegas ProSoccer Challenge against Chivas USA on February 15. To purchase season tickets for the Rapids' 2013 campaign, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 25, 2013
- Basic objectives met in preseason opener vs. SKC - New England Revolution
- AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke named 2012 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revs open up 2013 preseason schedule with scoreless draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Loan Alvaro Fernandez to Al Rayyan - Chicago Fire
- Corey Ashe, Omar Cummings Undergo Surgery - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy midfielder Michael Stephens aiming for a starting role in 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Sign Defenders Gargan, Harden - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revs Sign Forward Matt Horth - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Releases Long Tan - D.C. United
- Galaxy announce local television broadcast schedules - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids sign midfielder Nick LaBrocca - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Receives Multiple Club Honors - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United acquires Casey Townsend from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Chivas USA trades forward Casey Townsend - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Defender Martin Bonjour Moves On - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rapids acquire forward Charles Eloundou in MLS lottery - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo, Liberman Broadcasting agree to multiyear broadcast partnership extension - Houston Dynamo
- Individual tickets for first two home games on sale tomorrow at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United signs Indonesian midfielder Syamsir Alam on loan - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate
- Colorado Rapids Conclude Four-Year Affiliation with Charlotte Independence
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan
- Colorado Rapids Recall Goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra from Charlotte Independence