Chicago Fire Loan Alvaro Fernandez to Al Rayyan
CHICAGO, Ill. (Jan. 25, 2013) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced Friday that the club has loaned midfielder Alvaro "Flaco" Fernandez to Qatari side Al Rayyan. The 27-year-old Uruguayan World Cup veteran will join Al Rayyan on a six-month loan. Per club and MLS policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Flaco was interested in exploring options abroad in search of national team playing time and this situation allows him that opportunity," said Fire President of Soccer Operations Javier Leon. "We wish Flaco the best in Qatar and with Al Rayyan."
Fernandez joined the Fire on July 27, 2012 from the Seattle Sounders FC. A member of the Uruguayan side that placed fourth in the 2010 World Cup, Fernandez scored two goals and added one assist for the Men in Red in 13 regular season appearances during his time in Chicago.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 25, 2013
- Basic objectives met in preseason opener vs. SKC - New England Revolution
- AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke named 2012 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revs open up 2013 preseason schedule with scoreless draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Loan Alvaro Fernandez to Al Rayyan - Chicago Fire
- Corey Ashe, Omar Cummings Undergo Surgery - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy midfielder Michael Stephens aiming for a starting role in 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Sign Defenders Gargan, Harden - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revs Sign Forward Matt Horth - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Releases Long Tan - D.C. United
- Galaxy announce local television broadcast schedules - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids sign midfielder Nick LaBrocca - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Receives Multiple Club Honors - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United acquires Casey Townsend from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Chivas USA trades forward Casey Townsend - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Defender Martin Bonjour Moves On - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rapids acquire forward Charles Eloundou in MLS lottery - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo, Liberman Broadcasting agree to multiyear broadcast partnership extension - Houston Dynamo
- Individual tickets for first two home games on sale tomorrow at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United signs Indonesian midfielder Syamsir Alam on loan - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Acquire Nicolas Hasler
- Chicago Fire Forward Nemanja Nikolic Wins ESPY Award for Best MLS Player
- Chicago Fire Acquire Raheem Edwards
- Chicago Fire Continue U.S. Open Cup Quest against Louisville City FC, Host Toronto FC in MLS Action
- Chicago Fire Fall 3-1 at FC Dallas